Chapter Thirteen: Spider's Sting

Mineko jolted awake almost 24 hours later

Mineko jolted awake almost 24 hours later. There was a sharp jab in her abdomen that took the oxygen right out of her lungs. The pain had an unpleasant warmth to it, eating at her stomach. There was nausea too, just enough to make her hold onto the mattress beneath her for support and breath slow. She often prized herself on overcoming pain, but it just wasn't possible at that moment. Not as long as confusion still tormented her mind.

What was that weapon? How did it injure her so quickly? Both questions pounded in her skull until it seemed like she'd never find an answer. In a desperate attempt to distract herself, she tried to make sense of the room around her. It was familiar... but she was certain that she'd never seen it before.

It was a bedroom, furnished on a meagre budget but still full of character. There were two large bookcases full to the brim with university textbooks and science novels. Many of them looked like they hadn't been touched in a while, likely because they had already completed their higher education. On the walls were posters from what Mineko could only assume were 'movies'.

It became obvious that this was Barry's room a few moments before the door swung open. She had never been in this part of the apartment, as tempting as it was, she at least had some respect for his privacy (despite the fact that she'd trashed his place the first time she arrived).

"Mineko!" Barry's voice called from across the room. He rushed to her side faster than the human eye could detect and gestured for her to lay back down. "Just relax. You've been unconscious all day."

Mineko's gaze flicked down to her torso where a bandage had been tightly wrapped around the wound, the same had been done to her leg. She tried to sit up again but was greeted with another piercing pain shooting all through her body. Her face scrunched at the feeling, and her teeth bit into her bottom lip in an attempt to keep any winces or gasps at bay.

Barry's expression visibly fell at her agony. "Are you alright?"

"I would be much better if I knew why I was so gravelly injured." She replied honestly. "I did not see my attacker wielding any blade, nor did I see him throw one."

"Oh... right, you haven't seen a gun before..." Barry huffed and pondered how exactly to describe such a thing to someone that had no idea of its function. "A gun is like a... tubular ranged weapon? Umm... typically designed to pneumatically discharge projectiles."

Mineko's brow furrowed and Barry sighed, trying to think of a way to simplify it. "It's a weapon that can cause a lot of damage, let's just put it that way. I'll explain the rest when you're feeling better."

She nodded, stare focused on the wall opposite her. "It was so loud..." she muttered.

"Yeah, I know." Barry said sympathetically. "You get use to it, for what it's worth."