Chapter Twenty-Two: Life Behind Bars

Dark, empty, cold, the room stood silently at the end of the corridor

Dark, empty, cold, the room stood silently at the end of the corridor. The fluorescent lights flickered and illuminated the nail scratched walls. Lifeless shadowed figures curled up in the corners of their cells, whispering their darkest secrets. Henry Allen carelessly dragged his feet across the floor, the baggy prison jumpsuit hung from his scrawny figure. The guard removed his handcuffs and his skeletal fingers rubbed his sore wrists.

"You have a visitor." The guard informed him, the usual harsh tone never relenting for even a second.

When Henry had first arrived, this particular guard had made his incarceration a living hell... but watching Henry's son visit, and after a specifically heated argument with Barry, he was starting to believe that he may have actually been Innocent. He wasn't alone in this opinion. Henry was simply too out of place within the prison; he never fought and he never argued. He was a broken man, only ever flickering to life when he saw his son.

"Barry...?" Henry asked in a dead tone, yet there was a sparkle of hope in his eyes.

"No." The guard said, attempting to swallow any sympathy that may have surfaced. He had to maintain a certain appearance to scare the other prisoners, no matter how heartless it seemed. "Not this time."

The man's shoulders slumped, and he reverted to the walking corpse of a man he had become. Any curiosity he may have once felt towards the visitor had dissipated in the first year of his confinement. The guard had to guide him to the visitation booth as the man had, once again, retreated into his own mind.

Upon arriving, Henry sat obliviously in the chair behind a thick glass window and picked up the nearby phone. It took several seconds, but he managed to return to reality for long enough to glance at who was behind the glass. It was a woman. One with shoulder-length black hair, and eyes just as dark. He had never seen her before, but the man standing behind her was very familiar.

"Wally?" He asked, and suddenly he had regained a small amount of energy. His son had brought Wally to meet him once, after they became close friends. He was grateful about how understanding the young man had been about the situation.

"Good to see you again, sir." Wally smiled, though he looked a little anxious about being there. "This is Mineko - Barry's friend. She wanted to meet you."

"Friend?" Henry teased, much less glum then he had been a moment ago.

Wally chuckled then shrugged light-heartedly. "So he says."

A small smile crept onto Henry's face and this glimmer of joy was enough to help him shift the conversation to Mineko. "I regret that we have to meet like this. I hope it doesn't make you think less of my son."

Part of Mineko wanted to remind the man that his actions had no effect on how anyone perceived his son, but instead she simply shook her head and jumped straight to the reason she was there. "This may sound inappropriate to ask on our first meeting, but it is important that I hear your answer. I want to ensure that the decision I am about to make is the correct one. Did you kill your wife?"