십사: a fragment of a memory

A/N: This chapter explores Aeri's past.

Jung Eunha has always hated Shin Aeri.

"You're going to be a piano prodigy, my dear daughter!" The teacher stands beside Eunha as she played the hardest piece out of all the students. She had practiced so hard to get praised by her strict mother.

"It's decided, I'll choose Eunha to enter the Grand Prix" the middle aged woman clapped her hands together, seemingly pleased.

Everything went well, that is, until another little girl came.

The girl effortlessly skimmed through a few of the world's hardest pieces, and it was obvious she was a music genius.

And all of a sudden, Eunha didn't matter anymore.

Everyone's eyes were fixed on this little girl who did the impossible. Her hands flew through each note with ease, and she was undoubtedly the most talented student the teacher had.

"Aeri, would you enter the Grand Prix with Eunha?" The lady crouches down, smiling sweetly at the girl.

Aeri nods in response, and that was the moment Eunha's life changed.

Eunha worked harder and harder, trying to play pieces that her skill wasn't able to reach. She wanted to be a prodigy - but the thing was, she isn't one.

On the day of the performance, Eunha wasn't able to catch up. The best piece she could play was just a mere simple performance for Aeri.

"Aeri, my knee really hurts" Eunha pretended to cry in pain.

"What's wrong?" Aeri ran over to her, patting her back.

"It hurts, it hurts...." tears were streaming down her face.

"Stay here Eunha, I'll go find the teacher!" Aeri assured her, before running off and disappearing from backstage.

And just like that, Aeri missed her performance.

Eunha was smiling brightly as she received the 1st place for her category. She thought her mother would praise her, but she was wrong.