스물 둘: the cost of friendship

This chapter talks about Hyuna's past.

_______________________________________

Kim Hyuna had always liked Shin Aeri.

"Aeri!" Hyuna runs over as soon as the girl appears in the room. She reveals something that was covered in silver and gold foil, presumingly handmade.

"What's this?" Aeri holds it carefully, her huge eyes staring closely at the shiny gift.

"It's a trophy." Hyuna beamed, answering her question. "You didn't win the Grand Prix, but you won in my heart!"

As soon as she finished talking, Aeri makes an ugly scrunched up face. She was holding in her tears, but failed when she bursts out and hugged her tightly.

"heh, you're welcome" Hyuna pats Aeri's back to comfort her.

Meanwhile, her other hand was well hidden, filled with band-aids from the cuts she inflicted while making the gift for her best friend.

-

"Seonsaeng-nim, what happened to Aeri?" Hyuna tugs the adult's shirt, desperately looking for answers. Aeri had disappeared for weeks.

The teacher's expression turns into disgust, inching further away from the little girl. She then hesitates for a while, before changing her face again.

"Hyuna, be honest. You knew what happened to Aeri right?" She bends down, a sweet smile plastered on her lips.

"No, why do all the adults ask me that?" Hyuna frowned.

"You pushed her, didn't you?"

Right at that moment, another adult stops the teacher. Hyuna could hear them exchanging words about Aeri.

"That's enough, we don't have enough evidence. I don't think such a little child can do such an evil act" the male adult furrowed his brows.

"My own daughter, Eunha witnessed the river accident. Why would she lie to me?!" The piano teacher argued back.

Since then, she had been shunned by all the adults, even her father started to act strangely.

And came the worst moment of her life.

"AERI!" she runs as fast as she could, towards the girl and into her arms. But when she pulled back, the look in her eyes was foreign.

"...Who are you?" she asked.