14 ➵ day two

14 day two

the cold air caused them both to shiver as they took an early morning walk on the beach, the place they intended to spend the day.

it was already the second day and michael felt like he hadn't convinced charlie of his feelings for her at all, not that he was 100% about them either. he assumed he was failing and he was debating to quit while he was ahead.

"are you okay?" charlie asked him as they both walked hand in hand, the wind blowing her hair out behind her as the early morning sunlight reflected off her pale skin.

"uh...i'm fine, just fine." he replied, his heart really not in it and charlie could tell.

"can i ask you something?" charlie asked him, a serious look on her face as she stopped walking and sat on the sand, her toes digging into the grains of sand so that soon enough, her feet were buried beneath it.

"sure go ahead"

but even though he gave her the go ahead to ask him, she hesitated, like she was almost too afraid to ask him probably incase she got the answer that she wasn't wishing for.

"i understand that you like me but is it in the same way as i like you? i'm falling for you, and you know that because i've told you already, michael what do you honestly feel for me? i need to know, so just tell me" she asked, her eyebrows furrowed as she watched his empty face; a face showing no emotion, it was empty which didn't really help her in reading his emotions.

he didn't answer, instead he walked towards the water before turning back to look at her, the look of anticipation on her face as she awaited his answer.

"i was never good at describing my feelings, and i guess this week is for me as much it is for you, i need this week to see how my feelings for you develop because i don't want to lead you on for no reason, i don't want to confuse my feelings for you, i want to fall in love with you before i ask you to wait for me" he explained before charlie got up and walked towards him, a hurt expression on her face.

"so you don't feel anything?"

"that's not what i said."

"but it's what you meant"

"god i hate girls"

"and i hate you"

charlie went to turn away from him but michael grabbed her arm, preventing her from moving from the spot.

"please listen to me, i promise i'll try and explain okay?" michael waited for charlie to nod before he continued, "have you ever felt like you're drowning, whether it's drowning in schoolwork, emotions or actually drowning in the sea? i've always felt like that, my entire life, i feel like i'm drowning and nothing can save me, well that's what i thought, until i met you. you are the first person in such a long time to treat me like an actual human being rather than this famous person people see me as"

"okay, your point is?", charlie asked although she was touched by his spoken words.

"my point is that a few days ago, i was drowning, i was struggling to breathe, struggling to cope with pressures of my life and you were the lifeguard, you brought me to the surface and reminded me how to breathe without having to fight to keep myself afloat, you showed me how to live without life dragging me down, and i need to figure out whether you saving me had anything to do with the fact that i'm falling for you too"

charlie was astounded by his words, his words held a powerful message to her and she felt herself suddenly falling more for him and she hoped, she wished, she dreamt that he would be the one to catch her.

charlie took michael's hand although no words were exchanged, no words needed to be spoken in that moment so they continued walking down the beach until they reached a shack that a band was beginning to play in.

"can i have this dance, miss temple?"

"you may, mister clifford"

she took his hand in his as his other hand rested on the small of her back, her other hand resting on his broad shoulder as they swayed back and forth.

"i can't dance, swaying is about as much as i can do." michael admitted as charlie looked up at the wonderful boy in front of her, she admired him in so many ways, too many to list and he didn't have a clue about it.

"i can teach you if you want" charlie offered him a warm smile as michael's grip tightened on charlie's back pressing her body to his as they both held their breath, too afraid to let it go incase they ruined their perfect moment.

"yeah, as long as your body is close to mine, i don't care what we do or what happens"

she smiled at his words and he actually meant them, every time he looked at her it was like something was ignited inside of him, something bigger than he had ever experienced before and he hoped that meant he was falling for her, he wanted to fall for her and he wanted to catch her when she fell for him. she was falling for him, and he was falling for her. the only difference was that she realised it and he didn't.

they would both save each other in the end, more than they both would ever know.