21 ➵ two weeks later

21 two weeks later

michael was pacing back and forth in the airport waiting room, they were due to get on their flight at any minute but charlie was nowhere to be seen.

he had tried calling her, texting her and even ringing her mother but no one answered and he worried, probably more than he should have.

he was holding his breath as the boarding time came nearer and nearer, he was wondering whether charlie had given up on him altogether. he wouldn't blame her if she had, he would understand, he would be hurt but he would definitely understand.

a voice over the speaker announced that it was time to board the plane that the boys were meant to be getting on but michael didn't want to leave without her.

"mikey, we have to go" luke told him as michael shook his head.

"i can't leave her" michael replied, his voice sounding weak.

"well it looks like she already did that to you" ashton commented, not thinking about the words before he said them. "shit, that came out wrong i'm sor-" ashton backtracked over his words but michael cut him off.

"but you're right though aren't you? because she's not here" michael sighed, taking one last look at the doors behind him before he grabbed his hand luggage and made his way to the boarding section.

she had talked to him yesterday, promising that she would be here ready to take off with them. maybe she wasn't ready for all this, michael thought to himself as he showed the attendant his ticket and passport before walking to the plane.

it all felt surreal to him, like it was happening to somebody else. maybe she didn't love him after all, maybe she lied about everything.

"do you think that she even loved me?" michael asked luke as he took a seat next to him on the plane.

luke looked at his friend before offering him a small smile, "i've seen the way she looks at you, trust me, she loves you and there's probably a reasonable explanation for why she didn't show up"

michael smiled at his friend, reassured by his kind words but thats exactly what they were, they were kind, those were the words that he needed to hear and he wondered whether luke even believed the words he was saying.

it didn't matter either way though because now he had to tour without the one person he wanted by his side.

*

charlie grabbed her suitcase pulling it down the stairs, her eyes flickering to the clock on the wall. she was running out of time but there was no way she could get to the aiport on her own. her mother was stuck in traffic, her father was working and she had no money to get herself there, not that her parents would let her go alone anyway.

she made sure she had everything before she sat down on her sofa just waiting for her mother to return home. she could feel herself grow more tired as time went on and before she knew it, she had fallen asleep, her phone ringing constantly in her bag.

She woke up several hours later, her eyes flickering to the clock that was on the wall above the fireplace and when she noticed the time, she practically jumped up from where she was laying as she cursed at herself for being so stupid.

not that she could have gone anywhere because her parents were still not home, there was no way on earth she was catching that plane in time.

she sat down, struggling not to cry as her parents finally walked through the door.

"char, let's go to the airport, don't just sit there" her mother told her as her father grabbed her bags.

"we'll never get there, it's too late" charlie replied, finally breaking down as her mother comforted her.

"aw baby, i'm sorry, there was an accident and there was so much traffic, we'll fly you out to wherever they are, don't you worry about that" her mother told her as her father dropped her bags and went straight to the computer, typing away.

"phone him and let him know what's happening, he's probably worried" her father suggested and charlie nodded, quickly fishing her phone out of her bag as she noticed just how many texts and phone calls she had missed.

but charlie noticed the time and she shook her head at her equally confused parents as more tears rolled down her cheeks.

"i can't, they should have turned their phones off by now" charlie said as she scanned through the messages that michael had sent her,

michael: where are you?

michael: please tell me you're on your way here?

michael: char, answer me please

michael: have i done something to upset you?

michael: we have to board the plane now, i guess you didn't want to come after all. sorry for thinking otherwise.

her eyes became clouded over with tears but just as she was about to put her phone away, she noticed a text from a number she didn't recognise,

unknown: he thinks you've given up on him and that you don't love him, please please please prove him wrong, from luke

charlie's heart broke when she read the message but soon after she told herself it wasn't right for her to feel this way. she was the reason for all this pain, she was the one who never showed up to the airport and now it was her turn to make things right.

because no matter what she had to do, she was going to do it.

it was either that or lose the one person she would die for.

i know it's rather dramatic or whatever but relationships aren't perfect okay