19 - No more secrets

I may be resembling a sculpture right now. You know why: because I gave up breathing, literally. Not that I want to, but rather that my lungs gave up their job. Why does everything end up on my shoulders? Why is God making my life a living hell? Am I the only one here for him to toy with? It's not like I have even done something wrong to deserve such a punishment.

"Atarah, relax."

Ryan was currently drawing circles around my back. I guess it's his way of comforting someone. By the way, when did he come near me? And why do I have a feeling of suffocation? First it was kidnapping, then vampires, witches, werewolves, dark shape shifters, me being in flame, and now I am the owner of deathly creatures. This is ridiculous!

"Atty, please listen to me. Breathe."

Did he just call me Atty? Anyway.... Can't he understand that I want to? But some heck of a thing is not allowing me. Oh, I think that 'thing' is called 'shock'. Suddenly, my surroundings started to spin. Am I on a giant wheel? Without permission, my legs gave out, and I fell to the ground with a thud.

"Shit, she's passing out."

Those were the last words I heard prior to slipping into a delightful rest.

...........................................................

"Please wake up for me."

Who the hell is he, and why is he trying to separate me from my best friend? (Sleep, of course.)

"I want you, Atty. I need you."

Ryan? No, it's not him. He never talks this way. Yet, that voice...

"Please..."

My eyeballs moved here and there, trying to separate the eyelids. It felt so heavy, and my muscles were stiff like a rock. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around, only to see him sitting on a chair right next to my bed, his head and hands placed over my right hand, which was attached to some tube. Am I in a hospital?

"Thank God. You are awake. You have been unconscious for two days."

"Two days? But I just started sleeping."

I pouted. This place must have a thing with me and sleeping. Whenever I pass out, I only wake up after goddamn hours, and the worst thing is, I will still be tired. But isn't two days too long? I was practically in a mini-coma. He gave me a sad smile.

"You are unbelievable."

Why is he acting so weird? And I don't want the butterflies to flutter right after I get up.

"I am?"

I asked, raising my upper back from the bed.

"You are, and don't get up. Your body is so weak. The flame that you caused decreased your energy level. You are still partly human, Atarah, but what you did yesterday was beyond that. You were showing vampire traits. Not just a normal vampire, but a powerful one."

Was I supposed to comprehend what he said? I pinched my nose bridge and shook my head slowly.

"I can't understand, Ryan. I am totally blank."

I seriously did not comprehend a single word of what he said now. I am partly human? Am I showing vampire traits? God, it's making me dizzy again. Should I just pretend to faint?

"Look, Atty. I want you to listen carefully. There are many things that I hide from you, and I know that you know them. Now I want to tell you everything. No more secrets between us, okay?"

Now, that sounds like a very good plan. It was the moment I had been waiting for ever since I got here.

"No more secrets."

I said, nodding my head.

"Okay. You already know about the eloping story of the vampire prince and werewolf princess from Nathan, right?"

I nodded again. What does it have to do with me?

"And I also know that you helped them."

I added, not wanting to look like a total fool.

"He's correct. I was with them... Till they died."

His voice was merely a whisper, and pain flashed through his eyes. It seemed like he missed them so much.

"How did they die?"

My natural curiosity was at its peak. The vampires killed the princess, but Ryan liked them. And the story sounded too artificial. There was something missing.

"After their successful elopement, they stayed in the human dimension. It is difficult for any inhuman species to enter your dimension without being caught by the law. I had influence on the court, so it was easy for me to accommodate them. I was a constant visitor there. Seeing them made me feel... happy, perhaps. One day Raphael, the vampire prince, requested an urgent visit. I thought there was some problem, but soon found out that Lillian was pregnant."

The names sent an electric jolt throughout my body. My parents had the same names as Raphael and Lillian. This story is not going to be good. All my beliefs are questioned now. All the things I know about myself could be wrong, if what he says is true.

"Only if their joy could increase. After nine months of waiting, Lillian finally gave birth to a beautiful girl. And when I say beautiful, I really mean it. With her arrival, the family looked complete. I somehow had a special attachment to her. I don't know why, but her eyes were so captivating. She was like an Angel to Raphael and Lillian, and sometimes to me too."

He smiled a little, as if he were reliving the moment.

"On her first birthday, I decided to buy her a special gift when I got a phone call from Lillian stating that they were under attack by some random vampires. Though I was fast to reach them, it was too late. The entire house was demolished, and I could hear screams coming from inside.

The indoor scene was something one would never like to witness. The entire place was filled with blood and torn body parts. The first thing I searched for was the child. I walked in the direction of yelling and found Raphael fighting with someone while Lillian stood behind him clutching the baby. I did not see who Raphael was fighting with, but when he turned around, my entire world stood still. It was Asmodeus, the King of Evil. He was more evil than the devil himself. There's no need for him to fight with them. I was clearly dumbstruck.

Asmodeus suddenly seemed to be aware of my presence as he stopped fighting and faced me. I asked him the reason for this sudden attack. His reply was simple. He wanted the child. Of course, it was not happening, and I also got engaged in the fight. After some time, he managed to get me out of the room and lock the door, with his power acting as a shield to keep me outside. I was helpless, and when I finally entered, everything was so quiet. I found Raphael and Lillian's bodies on the ground, and they were lifeless. Ignacia was holding the child, about whom I had no idea of the entry. Ignacia simply gave me the girl and told me that she was my mate."

He paused his words and looked at me with the utmost sincerity.

"Yes, Atarah, it was you. You are the daughter of the Vampire Prince and the Werewolf Princess. And your grandparents are people whom I appointed to look after you."

**********************************

Don't forget to vote and comment...