Chapter One

Hey everyone, this is my first queer story on wattpad and I'd love your support and reads! I'd love any feed back you have please!!
Also it's a relatively slow burn romance but I promise it'll be worth it!

Also! Here is a playlist I made for the book! Give it a listen if you'd like!

Look it up on Spotify @samzags and listen to the Landslide playlist! 

Enjoy!

Summary: The one where Emery becomes indispensable

*BEFORE*

ONE

            "This is the last year you both can add any extracurriculars to your resumes and college applications," my mother, Brittany, said to me and my sister. I, however, know she was directing her words straight at me. "Maybe you can join a club or even find a new job that'll highlight your skills more than that dirty dog shelter you work at, Emery." She spoke so gently and cheerfully it was difficult to detect the displeasure in her voice. I had to fight my instinct to roll my eyes.

            "Well, I am working in the front office at school this year. Mrs. Henderson believes I'm the perfect student to take over such a great responsibility," Charlotte, my twin, said directing my mother's attention at her. "I also would like to run for senior class president this year."

            "Oh, Charlie! That's excellent," Our mother beamed. "Your father will be so proud to hear that." I watched dejectedly as they chatted back and forth, full of excitement and pride. The bowl of cereal in front of me became less appetizing as I listened my mother praise Charlie. She continued to build up my sisters ego, and I could longer listen to the conversation. I got up and took my bowl to the sink disappearing out of the kitchen with their voices fading the farther I moved away. As I went up the staircase, I ran my fingers along the railing that lined the wall. I watched as the pictures of mine and my sisters faces aged as I ascended to the second floor. Once upon a time we were inseparable; both indescribably happy and full of such wonder for the world around us. Our gap toothed faces shined brightly at the bottom of the stairs.

            I stopped and stared at the photo at the top of the stairs. The picture was taken in our back yard; Charlie was smiling politely, her long brown hair was  as straight as her impeccable posture. I was sitting next to her, my smile tight and forced; being outshone by my perfect twin. I turned my back to the pictures and headed toward my room looking for any escape I could get.

            With the bedroom door closed behind me and  I reveled in the silence that filled the air. I moved over to my dresser and took a deep breath gazing at the pictures that lined the top of my dresser. My eyes scanned over the family photo that was taken last Christmas around the tree, our smiles brighter than the star at the top of the tree. That was the first holiday in a long time where we all got along and my mom didn't get called into work. My eyes found the next picture with my two best friends and I. I was standing in the middle with two very tall girls on either side of me. Aurora had a grin spread across her tan face and Carmilla's head was tossed back laughing, her long hair was flowing in the wind. We had gone to tour Ardsford University for the day because it was so close to us. We ditched the rest of the campus tour to go to the boardwalk in the neighboring beach town. I was so happy that day.

             Finally, my eyes fell on a picture of my girlfriend and I. Sawyer is dressed in her soccer uniform with the words Wallbury Wolves across the chest. I had a t-shirt on that reads Elmsfield Eagles. I was on my tip toes pressing a kiss to her cheek while she smiled cheekily at the camera.  I smiled a little remembering that day. Her high school had won the soccer game against my school. She came off the field happily her pale blonde hair matted with sweat on her forehead. I felt so proud to be her girlfriend that day. I mentally kicked myself for not having talked to her lately, I had been so stuck in my own head lately and she had been on vacation.