Chapter Fifteen

Hey people! Let me know what you think of this chapter! Things are about to get more intense in the book soon, so get ready for that! ENJOY! 

Also, later in the chapter I reference Emery's music taste and a song that plays in her car. I don't put specific lyrics but the song above is the one I had in mind when I wrote it. So give it a listen if you'd like, or if it's your cup of tea/coffee/whateveryoudrink. 

Summary: The one where a new friendship blooms...kind of

FIFTEEN

I woke up the next morning to the sun shining brightly through my window. The light blinded me and sent a pain rippling through my head. Groaning, I covered my head with the blanket shielding myself from the painful sun beams. I vaguely recalled Aurora dropping me off in the wee hours of the morning. My hands fumbled to unlock the front door and my feet struggled climbing the stairs. But somehow I had managed to get into my bed without breaking anything, which is always a good sign. The raging headache I had was not one I was used to having never had that much to drink so quickly in my life. I slowly crawled out of my bed stumbling to the bathroom.

The reflection in the mirror stared back at me with raccoon eyes and a birds nest for hair. Thoroughly disgusted with my appearance, I slid into the shower. The hot water cascaded down my body, wiping it clean of the dirt and grime of last night. As I let the water rain down on me, my mind tried in vain to piece together the events of the party. Flashes of music, bodies moving, alcohol, huddled groups, and fiery red hair flew through my head. Slowly and then all at once. Short clips of my night came to mind leaving me flushed. With a loud, guttural groan, I shut off the water and stepped out of the shower to dry off.

I got dressed, hoping that it would bring some semblance of normality to the way I was feeling. But the ache between my eyes was not letting up. I slowly moved down to the kitchen and found Charlie sitting at the table holding her head with work surrounding her. She kept shaking her head whispering to herself before finally dropping her head onto the table. I stepped cautiously toward her.

"Charlie?" Her head swiveled looking at me like a deer caught in headlights. I was taken aback by the pure exhaustion that was etched across her face. We had been indistinguishable our entire lives. People were constantly confusing us with each other, but, right now, looking at Charlie, I couldn't even see myself. She looked haunting, like she hadn't slept in days.

"Emmie, hey, I didn't think you were here," Charlie said, gathering her work up into a neat pile. I checked the clock, realizing how late in the afternoon I was and that I would normally be at the bookshop by now.

"Damn it," I mumbled vaguely remembering Violet saying she'd be there today.

"What?" Charlie asked, pulling her oversized zip up hoodie tighter around her body.

"I just forgot I was going to meet someone today," I walked over to the table and took a seat next to Charlie.

"Well, why are you sitting down then?"

"I wanted to see if you were okay," I said. "You seem tired and not like yourself. I, uh, also heard you and mom arguing." Charlie visibly flinched at the mention of the altercation.

"I'm fine," She grunted, her voice stone cold.

"Don't lie to me, Charlie, I know you better than that," I responded. She laughed emotionlessly.

"No, you don't, we had barely interacted until a month ago. You don't know me at all," Charlie said. "Don't you have somewhere else to be?" I stared at her open mouthed and confused. I wanted to say more, but she stood hastily gathering her things and walked out of the kitchen. As the sound of her footsteps faded up the stairs, I sat there in shock wondering what just happened. We were getting closer again. At least I thought we were. She was there for me when I needed her, and I wanted to do the same for her. But if Charlie was going to be like that, I didn't know why I should even bother.