Chapter Fourteen

As promised, here's chapter 14! Please vote/comment and let me know what you think! I'd love some feedback. 

-Sam 

Summary: The one where Emery gets drunk 

FOURTEEN

Carmilla had found a party for us to go to Friday night, and I had waited patiently all week for that day to come. I wanted nothing more than to have a carefree night with my two best friends. I needed to clear my mind, and this was one of the only ways I could do that without thinking of my stupid ex-girlfriend, the mystery that was Violet, or what on earth I was going to do with my life. There was no rest. Every thought that ran through my mind had one purpose and that was to make me feel like crap. Sometimes it felt like the voice inside my head was my mothers and not my own because of how often it beat me down.

I was in the bathroom that connected mine and Charlie's room getting ready when I heard a noise similar to someone crying. It was hard to hear over the sound of my music and the music coming from Charlie's room. I tried to listen intently, but my phone suddenly went off causing my to jump. Glancing down I saw Carmilla's name and realized she was probably here to pick me up. Without much more of a thought, I headed out of the bathroom to leave. Downstairs, I found my mom puttering around the living room. She looked up when I entered the room making her frown.

"What are you wearing?" My mom asked taking in my short dress with a low cut, revealing more of myself than she would deem appropriate.

"A dress," I answered monotonously.

"I would barely call that a dress," She said. "And where do you think you're going? Don't you have work to do?"

"Out with Carm and Rory. And I'll do it tomorrow," I said moving to the door.

"Out where, Emery?" Her tone harsher than normal.

"A party." I opened the front door and waved to Carm who had the window of Aurora's car window open. I signaled that I'd be right out.

"Is Sawyer going to be there?" My mother moved toward me, curiosity in her eyes. "I haven't seen her in so long, is everything alright with you two?" I felt the air leave my lungs at the sound of Sawyer's name leaving my mother's mouth. It was soft, delicate, and loving, a tone that had never been adopted with my own name.

"We're fine, mom. Can I go?"

"It would be such a shame if you two broke up," She continued, ignoring me. "She's the only thing you have going for yourself, Emery." My blood ran cold.

"Stop."

"I'm just saying that Sawyer is really good for you, honey. You may not go anywhere in life, but at least you will have a partner that is successful. Even Charlie may not amount to anything. You girls have such a terrible work ethic, I don't understand how Parker and I raised such lazy children," My mom looked at me with such pity and disappointment I had to hold myself back from screaming. I wasn't just angry, I was hurt. Each word my mother said sent another knife through my body. Air wasn't getting into my lungs, my heart was pounding erratically, everything was fading to red. I wanted to tell exactly how she made me feel, but I realized that would be pointless. She didn't care. She wanted success. Greatness. And I wasn't giving her that.

Before she could say anything else, I ran out the front door, slamming it shut behind me. I got into Aurora's car, my breathing ragged, my eyes seeing red everywhere I looked.

"Drive," I said, anger tinged my voice. Aurora didn't hesitate, she drove us away from my house and toward the party. I sat in the back of the car seething. My mother's words filling my head with hatred and disappointment. She had been on a warpath lately, and I was sick of it. I felt like a pawn in her grand scheme of having raise two successful daughters. But I didn't care for her reputation. I wanted to be happy, and right now harboring this intense anger toward her was not going to be productive. I was losing control, my anger blinding me, and I knew I was going to make terrible decisions at this party if I let it's claws get any further into me. I took a deep breath, and suppressed my feelings. Maybe it wasn't the best idea, but I wasn't letting my mother ruin my night, because that's exactly what she would want.