Chapter Twenty-Two

Hey everyone! I'm so sorry for not posting yesterday like promised. We had a crazy storm where I live and it knocked the power out all day. But, as a little "im sorry" present, I will be posting again tomorrow and also on Friday. THREE CHAPTERS THIS WEEK. YOURE WELCOME.

ALSO, HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

Summary: The One with answers

TWENTY-TWO

I had finally calmed down after the argument with my mother. Violet gently coaxed me off my bedroom floor and onto my bed where we still laid. Our backs were pressed against the mattress, heads propped up by pillows, and our thighs were touching lightly. I was too exhausted to care or move. It was comforting, actually. Not only to have been held by her as I cried, or to be helped into bed, but to be as close to her as I was now. She was barely touching me and yet, somehow, her presence beside me was soothing. Every couple minutes I'd see her glance at me, concerned  wrinkles forming on her forehead.

She did it again. "I'm fine, Violet," I sighed turning onto my side.

"I wouldn't judge you if you weren't, Emery," Violet said mimicking my position. She propped her head up on her hand, resting her elbow on the pillow. I stared back at her quietly wondering what she was thinking about and if I was going to scare her away.

"I'm sorry you heard my mother and I arguing," I whispered into the small space between us. "It can be rather intense around her."

Violet looked at me curiously. Her lips pursed like she was tumbling the words around in her mouth to see if they tasted right before speaking them. "She shouldn't treat you like that, Emery." Those fierce green eyes of hers made me squirm under her gaze. I felt vulnerable, like she was stripping away every layer just with a look.

"It's okay, I'm used to it.  My mom just wants us to succeed, and I know she can come across as callous, but she's never laid a hand on us, you know?" I tried to justify. Violet stiffened for a moment and then smiled warily at me.

"That doesn't matter, there are plenty of ways for someone to hurt you without using physical means," A flash of pain crossed her eyes. "It can hurt just the same." Violet rolled onto her back and stared up at the ceiling as we both fell silent.

I stayed on my side watching the rise and fall of her chest. My mind drifted, thinking how strange it was that Violet was still here even after my mother, my breakdown, and a conversation. I was waiting for her to run. I felt like at any moment she would just get up and leave, like this was some kind of joke. But, she hadn't. Violet was still laying beside me, comforting me, talking to me. It was odd, really. It wasn't something I had anticipated or even wanted to happen. No one but Charlie knew the incredible pressure our mother put on us. Sure, my friends knew she was tough on us and wanted us to succeed, but I never told them the words she said. Violet saw it first hand, and when I assumed she would run away, she ran to me instead.

"Thank you," I said to her, she looked back at me quizzically. "You know, for being here for me, for always showing up when I need someone the most," I said sincerely. "I like having you around, Violet." Slowly, Violet turned to look at me. She wasn't smiling, but I could see a twinkle of something in her eyes.

"You're not so bad to be around either," Violet said causing me to give her a slight shove.

"Jerk." She smirked at me.

"I can be," She answered still smirking.

"Stop that, Violet, this is serious," I scolded, causing her to drop her mischievous look. She nodded, a blush creeping up her face. "You've been a mystery since the day I met you, and that's one of the things that drew me to you, but, damn it, I can't kept watching you walk away from me. Do you know how much it hurts?"