Chapter Seventeen

Summary: The one with the storm 

SEVENTEEN

"Damn it," I grumbled as my car's engine turned over, but refused to start. Of course, it was the one afternoon I had to get to work that my car decided not to run. Unfortunately, both my parents were at work and Charlie and I share this car. So, I was stranded. Taking my phone out I attempted to call Aurora and then Carmilla, but neither picked up. I groaned, and climbed out of my car slamming the door in frustration. The temperature had dropped drastically in the past couple weeks finally hitting that fall weather I had been dying for. But, even though Fall was here, hurricane season was in full swing. We hadn't been hit with anything yet, but there was a tropical storm advisory out for today until Sunday. Being next to a coastal beach town can be nice for the most part, except when there's potential for flooding or even tsunamis. Storm clouds had rolled in early this morning looming over head threatening to rain on my way to school. Now they were darker, more menacing, waiting for the right moment for the sky to open up. Without anyone to give me a ride, I was left walking to work, hoping that I wasn't going to get soaked on my long walk. I hoisted my work bag over my shoulder and started in the direction of Barks N' Recreation's.

My feet stepped briskly on the street leaving my neighborhood - Elmwood Estates - behind me. Dry leaves crunched under my feet with every step I took, the leaves having begun to turn and fall. I neared the center of town after half an hour of power walking, the sky darkening with every passing minute. A few sprinkles of rain landed on my head announcing the arrival of the rain. On top of the drizzle, my feet were not pleased, at at that point, neither was I. I wish someone would offer me a ride or something, I thought. As if hearing my plea, a honk sounded behind me.

I turned swiftly and saw Grayson's truck pull up beside me. "Hey there, pretty lady, need a ride?" I chuckled and nodded before climbing into his truck ungracefully. "Where you heading, Emery?"

"The dog shelter, Barks N' Recreation's," I said, "I'm running super late for work." Grayson drove through town, breaking the speed limit for most of it. After a few turns down side streets, the Barks N' Recreation's complex came into sight.

"So, what happened to your car?" He asked me.

"I have no idea, it just wouldn't start," I sighed, "and no one in my family was home, so I was either going to skip work or be late."

"I would've just skipped."

"I love my job, I didn't want to leave them short staff," I said to him. My mind immediately drifted to Violet. I wondered if she was worrying about me and why I wasn't at work yet. Never in my two years here had I been late. Grayson pulled in and parked his truck at near the front door.

"You're more dedicated than I am," He grinned at me. "I can check out your car after this, if you want? I know a thing or two."

"Really? You'd do that for me?"

He nodded, "Sure, what are friends for?"

"That would be amazing, Grayson! I've been dreading telling my dad," I said throwing my arms around his neck and hugging him over the center console of the truck. "Thank you so much."

"No worries, Emery," He said pulling back from our embrace. "I'll let you know what's up with your car when I find out. Do you need a ride home later? It's supposed to get pretty bad out because of that storm rolling in."

I shrugged, "Probably, but I'll keep you posted on that. I might have my parents pick me up. You've done so much for me already."

"Alright, I'll talk to you soon," He said. I gave him one last appreciative hug before climbing out of his truck and waving goodbye. Turning around to head inside I found Violet standing behind me staring intently at me, the emotionless expression sitting neatly on her face. Her fiery red hair looked at home with the colorful fall foliage behind her. I was awe struck at the way her hair moved without constraint, like the leaves on the trees. With every gust of wind, the fire swayed with it, leaves swirling behind her and around her feet. The ever darkening sky created an ominous atmosphere around us making her look like a sorceress, calling on the forces of nature like she was one of them. I would be lying if I didn't say I the pull I felt toward her was certainly something magical.