Chapter Nine

Hey peoples, here's the next update. Enjoy!

Summary: the one with the bookshop

NINE

After the first week of school, I desperately needed alone time. I loved my friends, but seeing them everyday was exhausting. They had so much energy and I simply didn't. I needed to go to my happy place, to find some peace in my chaotic life. There was so much going on in my mind that I swear there was a tornado brewing with the amount of stuff swirling around in there.

I had woken up Saturday morning with a plan to go to my favorite bookstore in Shorecliff. It was hidden behind too large tourist trap stores, the only indication of it was a small pergola covered in vines. A sign hung from the top of the pergola, old and worn out, reading THE LOST BOOK SHOP. I fell in love with the bookstore and whenever I got the chance, I always went back. It was filled with books used books and it had a little cafe inside. Hours of my life had been spent there sitting at a table as I sipped coffee and read a book. It's the one place I can always count on to make me feel better. It was also one of the only bookstores in the area, although it was a well kept secret between those who had found it.

When I went downstairs to leave I heard voices arguing in the kitchen. I moved closer not wanting to invade but too curious not to know what was going on.

"It was just one time, mom," My sister said her voice soft and weak.

"I don't care, you miss one assignment and soon you'll miss them all," My mother scolded. "I expect more from you, Charlotte."

"It won't happen again, I promise, I'll try to do better."

"No, you will do better, you'll get nowhere in life if you keep shirking your responsibilities." I heard footsteps approaching and I swiftly moved away making it appear like I just came down the stairs. "Oh, hi, sweetheart." My mother smiled at me, but it looked more like a painful grimace. I peered around her to look at Charlie.

"You wanna come do work with me at the book shop, Charlie?" I asked, ignoring my mother completely. Charlie glanced at her and then back at me.

"Oh, n-no, I'm gonna do work here, less distracting, thank you though," She forced a smile, but I knew better than to push the topic in front of our mother.

"Okay, I'll be back later," I said and sent Charlie a warm smile before heading out for the day. My drive to Shorecliff was filled with questions about my sister. I felt off knowing she was struggling. Another part of me was kind of glad that she was getting heat from our mother like I always do. But as soon as that thought hit my mind, I scolded myself for being so cruel to my sister. Neither of us deserved to be treated that way.

By the time I made it to Shorecliff it was early afternoon and the streets were busy. The closer I got to the book shop the more people began to disperse and soon there were only a handful around. I found the pergola with the bookshop sign hanging from it and walked through it. Instantly, I felt like I had been teleported to another world. Between the two buildings was the path to The Lost Book Shop lined by tall bushes and an old brick walkway. It looked like something straight out of a fairytale, it's part of the reason I loved it so much. I didn't feel suffocated by people here.

The path opened up to a small lot with a white building on it. It was singular story tall and had large glass windows that showed the inside of the store. I pushed my way through the doors, the smell of coffee and books hit me and I smiled, my body relaxing. The front of the store was the coffee shop and also where check out was for the books. Tables lined the windows and some of the floor space inside. There were a handful of tables with umbrellas out front as well. I moved farther into the shop, wading slowly into the dense jungle of books.