Chapter Twenty-Six

it's about to get really intense. like really intense.

there is a trigger warning near the end, I will denote it with bolded words.

I would like to apologize in advance for what's going to happen.

Summary: The one with the slip up

TWENTY-SIX

    October and November passed quickly, and the bitter cold of winter set in. While world outside was slowly dying and giving way to the harsh winter weather, Violet and I were flourishing. I felt the happiest I had been in a long time. The threat of Violet leaving hadn't crossed my mind in a long time, and for that I was thankful. I spent more time staying in the present with her than worrying about when she could potentially leave me. The past couple months, even though they were filled with stress from academic work, have been bliss. We hadn't talked about labels on what we were, but I knew we were together.

    At school, we walked hand-in-hand. She sat with my friends and I during lunch. We walked each other to class and kissed before parting ways. By all definitions, we were a couple. But, it was never something we felt the need to discuss. I was happy, and I believed she was too. So, as we sat across from each other in The Lost Book Shop, I felt an overwhelming feeling stir within me. She was just sitting there, her fiery hair braided over her shoulder showing the features of her face clearly. The freckles that littered her face were fading as the weather got colder and the sun disappeared behind the everlasting grey sky. Her green eyes stayed vibrant, much like her hair, in this dull monochrome world. She was the one pocket of color that I looked forward to seeing everyday.

    "What?" Violet tilted her head to the side in question, a ghost of a smile on her lips.

    "Nothing," I responded, a grin spread across my face.

    "You've been staring at me for the past ten minutes, Em."

    "Are you saying I can't admire your beauty?"

    "No," She laughed, shaking her head at my antics. "I just wanted to know what you were thinking." I stared at her taking in all that was in front of me, and all that we have experienced together. She was a work in progress, and so was I, but we were working together. She filled my previously mediocre days with a bright light that consumed my whole being. For the past couple weeks, I have felt an overwhelming wave of warmth that crashed through my body whenever I thought of her.

    "I was thinking that you are so beautiful," I started. The bell above the entrance door chimed signalling a customer walked in. "And that I have been so indescribably happy with you these past couple months. I never would have thought we'd be here now considering how closed off you used to be with me. Yet, here I am, completely falling in love with you." Violet's eyes went wide and I realized what had just slipped out of  my mouth. I cringed. She looked petrified, as if she was too afraid to move or speak. I felt my heart break just a little at the sight before me. No longer was the red head joking or laughing. There wasn't a glint of humor in her eyes or even a tiny smile on her face. No. It was pure shock. Horror. Fear.

    "Thank you," A deep voice behind us said followed by the sound of the cashier closing the register. Heavy footsteps faded as they presumably moved toward the door. The bell chimed with the person's exit.

    "Violet, please...say something," I pleaded, her silence having gone on for far too long. Her expression shifted from terrified to stoic. My heart sank. "Please, don't." I begged knowing full well that I pushed her too far. "I didn't...It just slipped out, I'm sorry. Just, please, don't retreat from me, Vi." It had been so long since I had seen this side of Violet. We had gone weeks without her retreating, and it was foolish of me to think that it would never happen again.