Chapter Eighteen

The first part of this book is coming to an end, and so much is about to help. Buckle up, peoples. It's about to get interesting. 

Summary the one with the revelation 

EIGHTEEN

I woke up the next morning with my head leaning against Violet's chest. My arm was slung carelessly over her stomach, her hand pressed to my hip. I couldn't recall when we went from our opposite sides of the fort to cuddled up neatly into each other. I tried to peel myself off of her without waking her, but the moment I lifted my head up her eyes fluttered open. She gazed at me groggily and then suddenly her eyes flew open in a panic. Her body sat up sending me scrambling away from her. We both were sitting up staring at each other intently trying to process what just happened.

"Violet," I said gently. I opened my mouth to tell her it wasn't a big deal but she was speaking before I could.

"I-I gotta go," She rushed out. The panic in her eyes disappeared and in crept the apathy. She gave me one last look before she left. I wanted to chase after her, but I knew better. Luckily, the weather had eased up outside, the wind and rain had lessened. I wasn't happy that Violet left, but I was glad she wasn't going to be taken away by a flood of rain or struck down by lightning. But the Violet that fled was not the Violet of last night. No, last night she was raw and vulnerable, now the old Violet was back and I was left to guess what spooked her. I had a strong feeling it was our cozy position we woke up in, but, with Violet, it was impossible to really tell. There wasn't anything wrong with friends cuddling. I had done with with Carmilla and Aurora for years. What was the big deal? I thought.

With a heavy heart and a big sigh, I took down the fort we had made and put the pieces away where they belonged. Slowly, I went through the motions of feeding the dogs and making sure they were all set for the morning. The rain was slowly pitter-pattering against the roof, and a slight shine of the sun had broken through the clouds. While it may have been nicer outside, on the inside, my body was a more akin to the storm last night. A violent, tumultuous whirlwind of emotions churning deep within me. I tried to keep my breathing even as I continued to do work, but the images of Violet swarmed me, clouding my thoughts. I almost fed several dogs the wrong food and nearly stepped in a pile of dog crap before my relief came in.

The two older workers whose names I honestly didn't remember walked into the pods and smiled at me. The older man with dark hair spoke, "Briggs said you're good to go." I nodded and smiled gratefully before leaving. With each step I took my brain bombarded me with Violet.

Violet's fiery red hair in contrast to her creamy skin.

Violet smiling.

Violet's laugh that lights up her face.

Violet's hand in mine.

Violet's secretive smirk.

Violet hugging me.

Violet holding me while we slept.

Violet. Violet. Violet.

I stumbled out the front door, confusion written all over my face. The sky decided at that very moment to open up above me and pour. Rain came down faster, harder, and incredibly cold. But I didn't stop moving. My brain told me to walk, one foot in front of the other, each step getting faster, and faster, and faster, until I was running. I didn't care that I was getting soaked to the bone, or that I could get hurt, or that I looked like a lunatic running through the street. The only thing I cared about were the thoughts whipping through my head. With every step I took I tried to leave Violet behind like she had done to me so many times. But she kept coming back. She always came back. Her hand outstretched to me, or a shy smile, or an indifferent look. It didn't matter because she always came back.