Chapter Two

Summary: The one where Emery goes to a party  and find something unexpected

TWO

I was getting ready to enjoy another night of laying in bed binge watching TV on the internet when I heard the doorbell ring. My mother was at the hospital on call tonight and my dad was at some faculty retreat, so that left Charlie and I home together. She was hidden away in her room reading the last time I checked. I had peeked my head into her room to see if she wanted some of the pizza that I cooked, but she had her face buried in a book and her headphones were in. I decided not to bother her.

I answered the door quickly and came face to face with my two best friends. Before I could say anything both of them came walking into my house. "Uh, what are you guys doing here?" I ask.

"Well, seeing as you haven't answered mine or Aurora's texts, we decided to come to you," Carmilla said nonchalantly. Carmilla and Aurora looked at me pointedly, both towering over me. I grimaced.

"I've been busy," I mumbled, trying to find any excuse to get away from their upset gazes.

"No, you haven't," Aurora stated, "We stopped by your job earlier, your boss said you were given the rest of the week off, so we know you've just been wallowing in your room like you have been all summer."

"Seriously, Emery? Why can't you just tell us the truth, we've been best friends since we were in diapers," Carmilla vented. I took a deep breath before grabbing both their hands and pulling them up to my room. I closed the door behind us once we were upstairs and turned my music on my laptop incase my sister decided to be nosy. Aurora and Carmilla had made themselves comfortable, lounging across my bed as I stood looking at them. They both stared back expectantly.

"Is this about Sawyer being away for most of the summer?" Carmilla said. "I know you're in love with her and everything, but you can't mope all summer because your girlfriend is gallivanting across Europe." I felt a pang in my heart hearing her name. Sawyer, my girlfriend of nearly two years, and my first love, left in the middle of summer to go on vacation with her family with as little as a wave goodbye from me. I was so lost in my own world to even acknowledge her while she was here. Guilt hits me like a tidal wave; I didn't even to bother to see when she was coming back.

I took a moment, feeding off the guilt that's eating away at me. "Yeah, I really miss her. We've been basically inseparable for years now. I haven't spent this much time away from her since I don't know when." It may not have been the whole truth behind my disappearing act, but it was enough to convince my friends to get off my back. Tears pricked at the back of my eyes, the pain of missing Sawyer rushed at me full force. It wasn't the whole truth, but my feelings regarding Sawyer were real, and incredibly painful.

"Oh, Emmie," Aurora cooed, wrapping her arms tightly around me as sobs wracked my body. "She'll be back soon, especially because school is starting in two weeks." I nodded, tears sliding down my face.

"I just miss her so much, I feel so lost without her," I mumbled pathetically. "Sawyer has been such a huge part of my life and I love her so much. She's been gone for nearly a month and I feel like I'm losing her..."

"No, no," Carmilla said, coming over and hugged me with Aurora. "You're not losing Sawyer, she'd be crazy to let a girl like you go."

"I've been so distant with you guys, I can only imagine how distant I was with her before she left," I sobbed into Aurora's chest holding to my best friends tightly. "I can't lose her." It took another hour or so, but Aurora and Carmilla eventually calmed me down enough to talk some sense into me.