Chapter Nineteen

Hey peoples, this chapter is relatively short, so I do apologize. I would double post, but I've been super busy with course work, so I haven't been able to write as much. But do expect an update on Monday 10/23.

There will be about 8 more chapters for the rest of this book. Which means more drama, some fluffy stuff, and some pretty intense shit.

Hope y'all are ready for it. Cause you're probably gonna hate me by the end of it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Much love, Sam

Summary: The one with the truth and the test

NINETEEN

It was the Tuesday after the storm, the only signs of the storm having actually happened were the broken tree limbs that littered streets and yards. Other than that, it was almost like the night I spent trapped at work with Violet had never happened. To further that notion, I hadn't seen Violet since she left me that day. She hadn't shown up at The Lost Book Shop, work, or school to my knowledge. She had thoroughly dropped off the radar. I was beginning to think this was a pattern of hers. Encounter something real and emotional and run. Every time we got closer she avoided me. Sure, she would appear a few days later, but it was approaching the time in which she should pop back into my life and there was no sign of her. Violet wasn't here, and I was afraid she wasn't going to come back.

Carmilla wanted to go to Sunrise Diner after school for milkshakes and fries to talk some more about my "revelation" as she had been calling it. She invited Aurora, who invited Sophie, and, wanting him to know, I invited Grayson. After the final bell, I got in Grayson's truck, and the other three got into Aurora's car and headed to the diner. When we got there, we snagged a corner booth in the back and placed our orders the moment the waiter appeared. Two baskets of fries, and five milkshakes - two vanilla, two chocolate, and one strawberry.

"First Hawaiian pizza and now a strawberry milkshake?" I questioned Grayson.

"Hey!" He gave me a playful shove. "Don't be a dick."

"It's gross," I said to him. He stuck his tongue out childishly. "Just being honest." I shrugged.

"So, why were we called upon for this crew meeting?" He said tapping his fingers on the table to an unknown beat.

Carmilla smirked and gave me a look, "our little Emery has something to share with the group." Four pairs of eyes locked onto me causing me to blush under their curious gazes

"Oh, yeah, um," I stuttered feeling embarrassed and overwhelmed by the amount of attention on me at the moment. My mind was struggling back and forth with what to say and how to say it. They were all my friends, they won't judge me, I tried to reason with my mind, panic rising up in my chest. I felt like wild animal that was cornered; I had no escape route. If I didn't say it, I knew Carmilla would, but that's no way to do it. Don't be a coward, Emery. "I...like Violet McKinnon." Everyone's eyes widened, well, except for Carmilla's. She just continued to grin happily.

"Violet?" Aurora said first. "Really? Isn't she kind of...rude to you? You wouldn't stop talking about how infuriating she was a few weeks ago."

"Things changed, Rory," I said to her. "I don't know how it happened, but it just did."

"I don't know, Emmie. I see how upset she makes you sometimes, I'm just worried about you, that's all. I don't want you to get hurt."

"She's actually not that bad," Sophie spoke up. "Sure, she's kind of rough on the outside, but she's incredibly dedicated and hard working, especially on the field. Sometimes she can be standoff-ish, but she cares a lot about the team. I've even heard her crack a few jokes. She's not all that she pretends to be."