Chapter 33

Thanks for almost 400 reads. <3

This is a really important chapter, so be sure to pay attention.

-Sophia💕
------

Abrielle's POV

Ugh. Where was this damn food stand?

I had been walking around for at least ten minutes and so far, nothing.

It was officially nighttime, and it was cloudy and moonless, making it seem darker.

I held the park map right in front of my nose, squinting in the dim light.

My sense of direction is really, quite pathetic.

I saw neon lights ahead and a sign that said FOOD.

Finally, after like ten freaking years I could get our fried dough.

Clutching Shawn's money in one hand and the park map in another, I made my way over to the stand.

That's when a hand grabbed me in the darkness.

"What the fu-" I tried to scream, but a hand clamped over my mouth.

I struggled to escape, but my attacker was too strong.

"Shut UP!" He whisper-yelled into my ear.

I felt something cold and sharp against my side. I stiffened, wanting to keep all my organs intact.

"Who ARE you?" I muffled into his hand.

He turned me slowly so I was facing him.

I gasped quietly. I was expecting someone older, but he couldn't have been more than seventeen.

He had dark hair, with a slightly pointed face and brown, almond shaped eyes.

"Are you Abrielle Larson?" The boy looked into my eyes while keeping a firm grasp on my wrist.

I nodded meekly while internally cringing at my last name, which I hated.

"Good," he huffed, looking around. "I need to talk to you; It's urgent."

"I've never seen you before in my LIFE! Why do you want to talk to me?" The boy dropped my hand and wiped his forehead.

"It's about your boyfriend, Shawn. I believe he's in danger."

"Shawn? In danger?" I held up my hands. "What happened? You better start explaining yourself kid. First off, what's your name?"

"Carter," he replied shortly.

"Carter what?"

"None of your business," he snapped. But his face softened and he sat down on a nearby bench and patted the spot next to him. Exasperated, I sat down too.

"I've got some explaining to do," he said hesitantly.

"Damn right you do," I snapped. "Kidnapping me and holding a knife against my side."

Carter held up his car keys and grinned. "Yeah. My knife."

I folded my arms and glared at him. "You said you had to explain something?"

"Ok, ok. Here goes." He cleared his throat.

"I'm working undercover in a cult, a gang, of sorts. They call themselves the Magcon Boys. And Shawn used to be in it. It's lead by three guys, who I can't tell their names."

"Why not?" I questioned.

It was Carter's turn to glare at me. "I just can't tell you, okay? It's complicated. Now be quiet so I can explain to you what exactly is happening."

I pursed my lips and looked down.

"As I was saying, the Magcon Boys are led by three guys, their leaders. Now a while back, Shawn took the blood oath to never leave the Magcon Boys. He left anyways because he didn't like what they were doing. That was almost a year ago. The leaders of Magcon are hunting down Shawn, and they planned some pretty nasty things for him. That's where you come in. I need you to protect Shawn, never let him out of your sight."

I stood up. "What are these guys' problem? What did Shawn even do wrong?"

Carter held out his hand and showed me a long twisted scar, puckered and pink on his palm. It looked fresh, like it had just happened.

"Shawn broke the blood oath. See my hand? I bet Shawn has a scar just like mine." Carter twisted his hand a different way so I could see it better. I gasped when the scar on his hand was shaped like an M.

"Why are you helping him?" I asked.

Carter huffed and put his hand in his pocket. "I joined Magcon because I wanted to work undercover, to find out what they're planning for him. Shawn's my friend, you know."

I shook my head in disbelief. "Wow. This is really...."

"Twisted, I know," Carter finished. "But we are Shawn's only hope of keeping him safe. This isn't the last time you'll see me."

"When will I see you again?" I questioned.

"In time," he answered simply. "Listen, you can't tell ANYBODY about this meeting, especially Shawn."

"Well, why not? If someone was planning to brutally hurt me, I think I'd like to know."

Carter gave a short laugh. "Yeah, well if Shawn finds out and confronts them, I don't think you'd have a boyfriend anymore."

I felt my cheeks turn pink. "Whatever," I muttered. "Oh, and next time you see me, I'd like it a lot if you didn't kidnap and almost stab me with your car keys."

Carter grinned, his white teeth contrasting with the dark night. "Got it. I'll see you around Abrielle."

He turned and blended back into the crowd of people.

I walked back to Shawn and Carlie, my head so full of thoughts and worries that I completely forgot to pick up the fried dough.