Chapter 44

Shawn's POV

I wake up with Abrielle snoring lightly in my arms.

I kissed her temple lightly and gently moved her onto the pillows and blankets that were sprawled out in the bed of the truck.

Groaning quietly and sitting up, I touched the dried blood on my nose. The swelling went down and I don't think it's broken.

"Shawn?" Abrielle's voice whispered, thick with sleep.

"Shhh, go back to sleep baby. We're at home."

She sat up and impatiently pushed the hair out of her face.

"Where are we?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

"We're in Matt's truck. At his house. Do you want me to drive you home?"

"Yeah, I'd like that." She smiled. "I want to make sure my dad is okay. By the way, how's Carter?"

I felt a frown slip onto my face. "He's... At the hospital."

"What? Why?" Abrielle started to panic.

"Apparently the dose of sleeping solution in those darts was lethal. He was given twice the regular amount, as I told you last night. He's in a coma."

"That's horrible." Abrielle sniffed. "I should have never told him the gun was fake."

"Shhh, baby I know, I know." I stroked her hair as she cried into my shirt.

"What about Matt and Hayes?" She looked up, her delicate face stained with tears that I wiped off with my thumb.

"They're okay. A little shaken up, but okay."

"Good," she sighed. "Can you take me home? I have to talk to Carlie and Reese. Tell them what's been going on before Taylor and Cameron get to them."

"Okay, I'll take you home now. Matt left the keys in the ignition for us."

We climbed out of the bed of the truck and I opened the door for her to lie down in the backseat.

"Let's go home," she murmured softly.

And she drifted off to sleep again.

We drove up into the parking lot of her apartment and I carried her inside with her head resting on my shoulder. With difficultly, I took the elevator up to the apartment.

"Shawn?" She woke up.

"Go back to sleep baby," I repeated my words from earlier. "We're almost there."

I knocked on her door and her brother answered. He had dark circles under his eyes like I probably did.

"Hey Emmett!" I said as cheery as I could muster. "Is your dad home?"

His eyes went to my face and then Abrielle in my arms.

"What happened?" He asked, apparently awed.

"She fell asleep. Is your dad home?"

"He's sleeping too," Emmett explained. "But you can put her on the couch."

I set her on the couch where she gave a soft sigh and continued sleeping.

"Will you throw a football with me?" Emmett looked up at me hopefully.

I was about to say yes when I realized that he still had dark circles from a long night of filming.

"I think you need sleep buddy." I said kindly. "I'll throw with you later, okay?"

He nodded and yawned, and padded over to the couch where he curled up next to his sleeping sister.

"Bye guys," I whispered. And I let myself out.

******

Abrielle's POV

I woke with a yawn and sat up. I was on the couch? I turned my ear to the sound of snoring but it was only Emmett. Not Shawn. Last night felt like some sort of weird horror movie and to top it off, Carter was in the hospital.

"Morning Dad," I stretched.

"Morning kiddo!" He said cheerily. "I made breakfast!"

I grabbed a bacon and egg sandwich and ran to my room where I threw on a tank top, shorts and converse.

"Bye dad!" I called with a mouthful of egg as I rushed out the door.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To Reese's place!"

******

"Reese! REESE!" I pounded on her apartment door and a disheveled looking man holding a cup of coffee opened it.

"Hello Mr. Golding," I said, slightly embarrassed. "Is Reese home?"

"Yes," he said in an irritated tone, stroking his beard.

"Can I talk to her?" I pressed.

He rolled his eyes and stepped to the side. I ran into their apartment and straight to her room. I wanted to talk to her first because even though I love Carlie and Reese equally both, Reese is quiet and well spoken while Carlie is more fun and party-ish.

"Reese? Can I come in? It's Abi."

I heard a "come in" and opened the door to her room.