Chapter 38

Hey guys! Thank you so so much for over 600 reads! Now let's get to 1k....

Make sure to comment, vote, and tell your friends!

Ily all,

Sophia💕

-----

Abrielle's POV

I refused to let Shawn drop me off at my house, because I had some errands to run at the grocery store.

I know, I know it's kind of weird to see a girl walk into Quick-mart with high heels and a dress on, but this is California. You get tons of weird people here.

My brother and Dad would be exhausted after a day of shooting so I decided to make them breakfast when they woke up.

"Here's your change miss," A cute dimpled boy handed me my change and he smiled.

"Uh, thank you."

"Have a nice night," He winked at me as I walked out. I glanced at the money in my hand. He had included his number.

Tossing the number, I walked along the dark streets, hoping for a taxi to roll up. My arms were heavy from carrying around my heels and my groceries.

Why didn't I just ask Shawn to wait outside?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Suddenly, I saw bright headlights heading my way and I waved the car down. It was a Mercedes, dark as the night sky above. Two men got out both of them wearing dark hooded jackets embroidered with a red "M" on the pocket. My heart skipped a beat, but my instincts told me to play it cool.

"Hi there!" I said cheerily.

The two men glanced at each other, their faces shadowed by their hoods.

"Are you ok?" I asked, still playing dumb. "If you're lost, I can show you around."

"What's your name?" The taller man asked.

"Reese...." I smiled glamorously, hoping to fool them.

"Reese what?" The shorter man folders his arms and glared at me from under his hood.

I smiled again, when in reality I was freaking the crap out. "Golding. Reese Golding. Are you guys cops?"

I felt awesome an actor as my brother.

"Search her," the tall guy said.

I stepped back. "Do you have a warrant to do so?" Thank god Carlie's parents are cops, because without them, I wouldn't even know what a warrant was.

"Yeah, we do," the short guy held up a folded piece of paper.

I bit my lip, sweat beading at my hairline. If they searched me, they would find my drivers license and they would know who I was. It was probably the most stupidest decision I've ever made, but I decided to run for it.

I dropped my bag and shoes on the pavement and broke into a run, hoping I could hide somewhere.

"Hey, come back here!" One of them yelled. "We know who you are!"

I ducked into an alley, hoping to find some boxes to hide behind.

I found a pile of two-by-fours stacked up against a fence. That was good enough for me.

I crawled behind them and caught my breath. Wiping the sweat out of my eyes, I turned to see if they were gone.

"Gotcha!" One of them yelled gleefully, painfully grabbing my arm.

"Let me go!" I cried, trying to tug my arm out of his grasp, "I didn't do anything!"

"Yeah, but you know shit!" The short guy yelled. "So you're coming with us."

Despite my shrieks, they tied my hands up and walked my back to the car.

The tall guy opened the door. "Get in," he said flatly.

"And what if I don't?" I said bravely. Out of the corner of my eye, the short guy took out a silver pistol and polished it with his shirt.

"I think you know what will go down if you don't," the short guy said. "Now get in before I blow that pretty little bun off your head."

I swallowed dryly, and got in the car where they bound my feet. There was another person next to me, but I was too scared to check who it was.

They pulled out of the dark alley and that's when I REALLY started to hyperventilate, and have one of my famous panic attacks.

"It's ok," I thought to myself. "Dad will know that I'm missing and call the cops."

Well my kidnappers seemed to know what I was thinking, because they pulled over at the edge of the freeway and took my clutch out of the shopping bag.

"Abrielle Larson," the tall guy drawled. "You found us just at the right time."

He dug around and pulled out my phone. I thought he was going to break it, but instead he dialed my father's number. The short guy held the cold barrel of the gun against my head and I froze.

His phone went to voicemail. "Say- 'Dad I'm crashing at Carlie's for the weekend, I love you.' Ok?" The short guy demanded.

I repeated the words as best as I could, because it's hard to do so when a gun is being held to your head and you're trying not to cry.

The person next to me groaned in pain, and my stomach leapt when I saw who it was.

Carter. So they got him. They must have taken his phone and read the texts from me.

"Carter!" I whispered. "Carter wake up!"

He sat up slowly, dark bruises prominent on his jaw and eye. It seemed to take a while to realize who I was, but his eyes finally narrowed in recognition.

"Abrielle? Is that you? Where am I? Man, they got you too! Shit, how long was I out?"

"Shut up back there!" One of the guys yelled. "Or I'll make it quiet, fast!"

My eyes darted nervously to the gun in his hand.

The gun.... It looked familiar. I had a vague memory of track meets while I lived in New York and when my mom was alive and healthy. I was scared of the starter pistol, but she told me it fired blanks....

He was holding a starter pistol. Why the hell didn't I realize it sooner?

I bent over to murmur in Carter's ear. "Carter. He's holding a starter pistol. Don't believe anything they say. Do you even know who they are?"

I thought he had passed out again, but he leaned over, his words barely audible.

"The tall one is Jack Gilinsky and the short one holding the gun is Jack Johnson. They're part of Magcon."

My eyes traveled over to Jack Johnson's palm, where he was holding the gun slightly slack, so I could see part of his palm. I shivered slightly when I saw the twisted "M" scar carved on his skin.

"Where are we going?" I asked, my voice weak.

"Shut up and you'll see," Tall Jack snapped.

Me and Carter sat in silence for the rest of the ride, afraid to speak.

Jack Johnson finally broke the silence when we pulled into a dark parking lot.

"We're here."