Chapter 49

Abrielle's POV

The rain was getting harder, pounding on the roof of my car with a sound like a hammer on tin.

I needed to get out of the storm and fast, so the quickest way was the highway.

I called Shawn but it went to voicemail. "Shawn? I'm in the storm. Me and Hayes had no luck with finding Carter. Have you found him yet? Anyway, I'll see you soon."

I glanced at Hayes, who was dozing against the seat. Poor kid needed rest.

The rain was pummeling down on my windshield and the wipers weren't wiping fast enough.

I rubbed my scars, something I did when I was nervous.

"Where are you Shawn?" I mumbled to myself.

I swerved to avoid another car in the road when I saw a dark truck that looked a lot like Matt's...

I pulled over on the side of the highway, making sure not to hit the guardrail. I could barely see it in the rain.

Counting to three, I opened the door and the rain soaked me almost immediately.

Shielding my eyes with my hands and leaving Hayes in the car, I ran over to their truck.

"Shawn! Let me in!" I screamed over the wind.

His eyes grew wide with recognition and he frantically unlocked the door where I threw myself next to Carter.

"Carter! You're not dead!" I cried.

"YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THAT BIG FAT BUTT!" He yelled.

"Carter! Shut the fuck up!" A sweaty and angry Matt yelled from the front seat.

"Wiggle wiggle wiggle," Carter whispered, slouching down.

I stared at Shawn. "Please explain." Did I need any more words?

He sighed, and ran a hand though his hair.

"His brain is messed up, he's like, five again. We needed to get him to a hospital and that's when we crashed into the side rail."

I glanced at Matt, his hands firmly planted on the steering wheel, his eyes trained on the windshield.

I sighed. "Why didn't you call me?"

Shawn huffed and turned away. "I tried. You didn't answer."

My eyes narrowed. "No. You didn't answer."

Shawn bit his lip. "You're right. Sorry."

I rubbed my wrist. "Is your car still working?"

Matt shook his head. "The engine won't start."

I got out of the car, the rain stinging like needles against my skin and opened the hood. The engine was indeed smoking. I let the rain cool it down for a minute and then I closed the hood.

Returning back to the car even more soaking wet, I snatched the keys out of Matt's hand and put them in the ignition.

Speechless, they watched me start the car and I turned on the heat to cool down the engine more.

"How did you do that?" Matt asked, his eyes wide.

I grimaced. "Living with two guys has it's perks. Now lets go to the hospital. I'll meet you there with Hayes."

They nodded and I got out, placing a kiss on Shawn's lips while Carter covered his eyes and screamed "Cooties!"

I laughed to myself as they carefully pulled onto the highway.

Luckily, the rain was subsiding, and the sun barely visible behind the clouds. I walked back to my car and my heart skipped two beats.

Hayes was gone.

-----

Ohhh, snap.

Guys, thank you so much for the support. You rock.

Also, if there is anyone willing to make a new Summer Savior book cover that would be awesome? I would love you forever and dedicate the next chapter for you and put you in the book description. Message if you want to do it.

Thanks again guys! Ily all,

-Sophia💕