Chapter 35

Shawn's POV

I was surprised on how well it went last night. I was kind of relieved that Abrille's dad liked me. He seemed pretty cool.

Then I gulped, remembering that Abrielle found my Magcon scar. Thank god my last name starts with an M, it seemed like a pretty good coverup to me.

The next day was cold and cloudy so I was chilling with Nash in his hot tub.

We talked about what Magcon was up to these days. He told me it wasn't good. They were starting to do some pretty bad stuff to some people.

I showed him my scar and he showed me his. For an asshole, he seemed pretty down to earth.

"Dude, I'm freaked right now," Nash said, cracking open a beer.

"Why?" I asked. "Magcon won't bother us anymore."

Nash snorted into his beer. "That's bullshit. I highly doubt we've seen the last of those morons. And the worst part? My little brother Hayes wants to join. He's only like thirteen."

I raised an eyebrow. "Man, that's serious. Have you talked some sense into him?"

Nash drained the last drops of his beer and tossed the can over his shoulder. "Dude I tried, but that little fucker won't listen. He wants to become "one of them." It's freaking ridiculous."

I shrugged. "Tell you're parents."

Nash gave a loud laugh. "Yeah right; Magcon has become one of the worst cults out there. If they found out I joined, I'd be tossed right into crap's creek."

I grimaced. "Sorry dude, I had no idea."

Nash cracked another beer. "It's fine, hey, how's that little girlfriend of yours, Abigail?"

"It's Abrielle," I corrected. "And she's perfect. She's everything to me right now."

Nash pretended to vomit. "Dude, that's corny as shit. Have you tapped her yet?"

I winced at his choice of words. "I'm not doing anything like that until she's ready. I'm still a virgin, Nash."

Nash started to cough on his beer. "You're still a virgin? What is this, the nineteen-forties, where people don't lose their virginity until they're like twenty? Take her v-card already and tap that hot shit."

I grew hot all over, and it wasn't from the water. "You know what Nash, I'd better get going."

I rose up out of the hot tub and made my way across his deck, knocking his beer over with my foot. He let out a string of curse words as I made my way down the steps.

Huffing with anger and a tad bit of humiliation, I took out my iPhone and dialed Abrielle's number. She picked up on the first ring.

"Hey Abi, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the beach tonight."

"Shawn.... I can't.... Not today." I heard her groan over the phone.

I instantly became worried. "Are you okay? Are you sick? What's wrong?"

"I'm not sick Shawn, I'm just not feeling that great right now." She explained.

I became confused. "That doesn't make sense. How are you not sick but you don't feel- ohhhh....." It struck me with realization. I cleared my throat over the phone. "Um, are you...."

My cheeks burned. I'm just glad she couldn't see it.

"Yeah. I am," she answered. "That's why I can't go to the beach tonight."

"I'll be over in ten minutes," I said firmly over the phone. "See you then?"

I could almost see her smiling over the phone.

"Yeah," she answered. "See you then."

******

I stopped at the drugstore downtown and picked up a twelve pack of root beer, a tub of ice cream, Doritos, a bag of jolly rancher chews, and a box of chocolates.

My next stop was McDonalds where I picked up two large fries and a vanilla shake.

Now I just hoped she had Netflix.

******

"Shawn! You came!" Abrielle threw the door open and hugged me with difficulty, since my arms were full of junk food.

She gasped with surprise when I set all the food down on the kitchen table.

"Oh my GOD, Shawn! Is this all for us?" She gasped.

I wrapped my arms around her gently, and kissed her hair. "Yep, this is just for us. Where is your brother and dad?"

She grimaced, dimples popping out on her cheeks. "They're at the movie set. They won't be home all day."

I grinned. "Excellent. We won't have to share our junk food with anyone."

She inspected the food and raised her eyebrows. "Wow, Shawn you really went all out."

We lugged the food over to the living room and set it down on the coffee table.

She curled up on the couch in her sweats and turned on Netflix.

"Ohhh! We should watch the walking dead!" She bounced excitedly.

"The walking dead?" I wrinkled my nose. "Isn't that show about zombies?"

She gave a fake gasp and slapped me on the arm. "ExCUSE you, Mendes, but the walking dead is possibly the best show ever!"

"Sorry, I didn't know you were into that type of stuff. Don't girls usually like pretty little liars, or Glee?"

"I like Glee too, but there is nothing wrong with the walking dead."

She eagerly clicked on an episode.

The episode started with a zombie eating someone's guts; I jumped backwards.

"Whoa! That's gross!"

Abrielle snickered, and crammed a handful of Doritos in her mouth.

******

For the next few hours we laughed, groaned and yelled at the TV. I learned that the walking dead was a pretty good show too.

"I bet Shane is going to get killed by Rick," I predicted.

Abrielle polished off her third root beer. "Why is that?" She wondered.

"Because Shane is going crazy. He's a killer, I can tell. Rick is going to find out about Lori's affair with him which will cause some conflict. Therefore resulting in an epic showdown between Rick and Shane. Since Rick is the main character, he will obviously win."

I sat there smugly as we watched the season two finale. Abrielle's eyes grew wide when the epic showdown between Rick and Shane I predicted came true.

She turned the TV off after the credits came on.

"Holy freaking crap Shawn. Have you watched this show before?"

I shrugged. "No. I'm just insightful. I notice everything."

She gave a short laugh. "Yeah. I can tell."

We sat the rest of the day, talking, laughing, eating junk food, and.... Kissing.

She was so perfect. She looked so perfect, even in her sweats and messy bun. My mind flashes back when Nash complained that I was, "corny as shit," when I talked about Abrielle.

I didn't care.

I loved her.

But I was just afraid to say it.