Chapter 47

Shawn's POV

"Abrielle? What's wrong?" I spoke urgently into my cell phone.

"I ran into Cameron," she said breathlessly.

My voice hitched when I tried to reply.

"Are you still there Shawn?" She asked worriedly when I didn't reply.

"Did he do anything to you?" I said slowly, dangerously. If he did.... Well I didn't even want to think what would happen.

"No, Shawn he didn't. We just made eye contact and I left."

"Did you get to talk to Carlie?" I breathed a sigh of relief that he didn't touch her.

"No, I ran out." Abrielle said fretfully.

"Where are you driving now?" I pressed.

"The beach, to meet up with Hayes and Matthew again. Do you want to come?"

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "Sure Abi, I'll be there soon."

"I love you Shawn," she said quietly.

A lump formed in my throat and I had difficulty speaking. "I love you too. Be there soon."

******

Ten minutes later I'm at the beach, when I spot Abrielle's long brown hair rippling in the slight breeze. Beside her are two kids sitting criss-cross on the sand talking and building a sand castle. With a shock, I realized that one of them was my own sister, Aaliyah, and Abrielle's brother Emmett.

"Hey guys!" I said, jogging over to them. Abrielle smiled and held out her hand, which I took.

"Ewww! Aaliyah said shrilly. "You two are gross!"

"Go away!" Emmett groaned, covering his eyes with his hands.

"Don't be so dramatic!" Abrielle scolded, leaning in for a kiss to tease them further.

They both screamed and ran into the water.

Matt suddenly sprinted towards us with Hayes at his heels.

"Shawn! Abi!" He puffed.

"What's wrong?" Abrielle asked fearfully.

Hayes gulped. "It's Carter. He's gone."

My heart almost stopped. "Carter's dead?"

Hayes shook his head. "No, I mean he's literally gone, Left, went AWOL."

I grew angry. "Well, weren't you with him? What the hell happened?"

"I was in the room with him, when I went to go get a snack from the vending machine. I got back to the room and thought it was the wrong one because the bed was empty. Then I saw my phone and hat on the chair and the window was opened so he must've climbed out," Matt explained.

I ran my hand over my hair for the countless time and Abrielle have my other hand a squeeze.

"He must've pretended to be asleep and snuck out of the first floor window," Hayes told me.

"Abrielle ran into Cameron," I said in an attempt to change to subject.

"Not really...." She said uncertainly, but Matt snapped his attention to her.

"What happened?" He asked. Her cheeks grew red and I almost felt sorry for bringing the attention on her.

"I talked to Reese about what's happening and she said she needed time to think. When I went to go talk to Carlie, Cameron was on the couch in her apartment."

"What did you do?" Hayes urged.

She stared at the ground. "I-I ran away."

I pulled her closer to me and planted a kiss on her hair.

"Good," Matt said, looking relieved.

"What are we doing here?" I tugged at my hair, frustrated. "We need to find Carter before Magcon does. Who knows, they could have gotten to him already, or Carter could be wandering the streets with a messed up brain from those darts!"

"Shawn's right," Abrielle added. "We have to find him before it's too late. We'll divide up into groups. I'll go with Hayes into Downtown LA and Shawn and Matt you go into Uptown."

Hayes looked a little pink at the thought of being paired up with Abi but he obliged.

I didn't want to leave her but she made the teams and I intended to do whatever it took to find Carter.

"We'll take my truck, you take your car." Matt said to Abrielle.

We started to move into action but Abrielle spoke. "Wait! What about Emmett and Aaliyah?"

"Uh, Abi? I can see both our apartments from here," I said. "I think they can find their way back."

"Right, right," she muttered.

Then we got into the cars and left to beach, hopefully coming back with Carter.

I didn't want to think what would happen if we didn't.
-----

Yayyy update! :-)

Thank you so so much for all the reads you guys, I love you all so much.

I might start doing chapter dedications soon so if you do something cool I'll acknowledge you!

Thanks guys!

-Sophia💕