Chapter 45

"Hey Reese," I grinned, despite the worry boiling in the pit of my stomach.

"What's wrong?" Her eyes grew serious. She could always tell when I was upset.

"I need to talk to you about something, but you have to promise to believe me."

"I promise...? Abi, what's this about?"

I sat down and told her everything that happened last night. The kidnapping, the sleeping darts, Hayes, everything.

She sat in silence, a curious look on her face as she listened.

"So what do you think?" I asked.

"I.... I don't know what to think. Why would Taylor do such a thing? Why would Cameron do such a thing? They're our best friends."

"I know it's hard to believe," I said, forcing my voice to keep steady. "But you have to. It's the truth. And he wants to recruit you and Carlie."

"He wants to recruit us?" She looked alarmed.

"Yes, they want you on their side. Reese, even Ricky is there!"

Her brow furrowed for a moment in concentration as she thought about the whole mess.

"And this thing is all about stopping Shawn?"

"Yes, that's what I've been trying to tell you," I said impatiently.

She ignored my rudeness and kept speaking. "If they're after Shawn, why don't they just get the information out of him and let him go?"

"That's what would've happened last night, if Hayes hadn't helped us escape," I said grimly. "Except I'm not really sure about the 'letting us go' part."

Reese got up and paced around her room, clearly agitated.

"Can I talk to him about this at least? I want to hear it from his side," she protested.

"No! If they found out I talked to you, they will find me again and this time I don't think we'd be able to escape."

She frowned. "Okay. I trust you. Will you fill me in on everything later?"

"Promise," I said, giving her a hug. "But I have to go and visit some friends."

"Okay," she walked with me to the door. "You'll call me when you get more information?"

"Definitely," I smiled, and she closed the door.

******

"Hello? I'm here to visit a 'Carter Reynolds?' Is he still in the hospital?" I waited patiently at the front desk of the hospital waiting room, hoping Carter was okay.

The nurse at the desk smiled. "Yes, I believe he is in the hospital. What's your name dear?"

"Abrielle Larson," I shuddered at my last name but the nurse didn't seem to notice.

"I'll be right back dear, I'll just have to see if he already had visitors. You take a seat over there."

I sat in a still waiting room chair and pulled out my phone, but suddenly I heard a little girl and her father talking.

"When are we gonna see Mommy?" She asked with excitement in her voice.

The dad swallowed, his skin pale. "Mommy's very sick right now. Remember I told you she lost her hair?"

The little girl nodded anxiously, her pigtails bobbing about. "Yeah! I remember! She had a wig."

"Mommy isn't doing so well Addison," the father said seriously.

I turned away from their conversation with a lump in my throat. This was the conversation I had to have with Emmett before our mother died.

The nurse finally returned, snapping me out of my painful thoughts.

"Abrielle? Carter has visitors but they say they know you! You can go right in."

She led me down a familiar hallway and when we stopped outside of his room, I realized it was the same one Carlie was permitted to after she tried to kill herself.

I didn't know if that was a good omen or a bad one.

"Go right ahead," the nurse smiled kindly.

I pushed the door open and braced myself for the sight inside.

------

OMFG thank you guys so much for over 2k reads! It means so much to think the story has come so far.

You guys are the bomb.

Don't forget to comment and vote!

-Sophia💕