Chapter 48

Shawn's POV

"I've searched Downtown, and we went to his house. He's just... Gone," I told a disbelieving Abrielle on the phone.

"I'll keep searching for him," she promised, and hung up.

It had been almost three hours of me and Matt driving around in his truck searching for him. Where could he have gone?

I ran my hand through my hair in distress and turned to Matt.

"Any luck?" He asked me and took a turn down some private neighborhood.

"No. Not even from Hayes and Abi."

"Dang, you'd think he went out of town? We can't keep searching for him in this weather," he gestured to the darkening clouds above.

Matt shook his head, his eyes glazed over from staring at the road for so long. "I don't know man, maybe he just-"

"Stop!" I shouted, putting a hand out. We stopped in front of a tiny playground where Carter was sitting on the swings, rocking back and forth. The other kids laughed at him and the mothers gave him concerned looks.

"Get out of the car slowly," I said to Matt.

He obeyed and we opened the doors of the car at the same time.

The mothers gave us looks and we motioned with our hands for them to get out if the way.

"Go behind him," I whispered to Matt.

He circled behind Carter and stopped the swing from moving.

"Hey Carter," I said cautiously. "How are you feeling?"

Carter stared up at me in surprise but broke out into giggles. "Fiiiine Shawny! Perfectly fiiiine!"

Matt gave me and alarmed look and quickly moved next to me.

"Carter," he spoke urgently, "do you know who I am?"

Carter giggled again and flicked Matt on the nose. "Suuure I do! You're Matty, and that's Shawny!"

I buried my head in my hands. "We are so screwed."

Matt's voice rose. "Carter, if this is a joke, it's not funny."

Carter pouted like he was being yelled at. "Carty isn't playing. Carty swinging!"

I turned to Matt. "What do we do?"

"I think the treatment medicine he was taking for the coma altered his brain into thinking he was well... Five again. We have to get him back to the hospital."

"Great," I muttered. "Just great."

Matt grimaced and turned back to Carter, who was now singing a combination of 'talk dirty to me' and 'twinkle twinkle little star.'

"Hey Carter!" Matt said cheerfully. "Do you want to go on an adventure?"

"No! Carty wants to stay here!" He frowned and crossed his arms on the swing.

Thunder grumbled in the distance and a branch of lightning danced across the sky. We needed to get him out of this storm.

"Pleas Carter? It'll be fun!" I begged.

"No!" He shouted back.

Well, it did take some persuading, saying we would get candy and Popsicles but we eventually got him in the backseat of the truck just as it started to downpour.

Carter whimpered as the tires if the car screeched onto the highway and thunder crashed. "I don't like rain." He covered his ears and started to chant, "Rain, rain, go away! Rain rain go away!"

"Carter be quiet! Matt yelled, his knuckles white on the steering wheel. Rain poured down in torrents against the window shield making visibility a challenge.

"RAIN RAIN GO AWAY! RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!" Carter yelled and pounded his fists against the leather seat.

"Would you shut him up?" Matt bellowed to me.

"Carter be quiet!" I pleaded. "Please be quiet!"

His yells didn't soften. "Rain rain go away!"

"SHUT UP!" Matt screamed, turning around to face Carter.

"Matt, the road!" I yelled. Matt suddenly swerved to the side of the road, tires screaming as we hit the guardrail with a metallic thud.

"Emergency brake!" I yelled, pointing to the red handle.

He grabbed it and pulled, and for a split second I thought we were going to rip right through the guard rail.

The truck slid ten yards but finally came to a shuddering stop.

Through the rain I could see that under the hood was smoking.

I leaned up against the car seat and breathed a sigh of relief. "Well, we're alive."

"Alive?" Matt moaned. "What about my truck? Who are we going to call?"

"Ghostbusters!" Carter piped from behind.

"Let's wait the storm out and then call somebody," I said nervously, drumming my fingers against the backseat.

Matt let out a long breath and looked out the windshield at the approaching lightning.

"Okay," he decided. "We wait."
-----

Oh my god I hate the new update.

Like the wattpad update, not this one.

Thanks for all the reads guys :)

-Sophia💕