Being Perfect: 7

"So your therapist tells me that you're making progress," Dr

"So your therapist tells me that you're making progress," Dr. Pulitz said, as he clicked through my online profile.

That's only what I could assume he was looking at anyway.

"She did?"

He nodded, turning in his rolling chair to face me. "And Genevieve is very impressed with you."

"Who?"

He cracked a smile. "The art therapist that we bring in."

Oh. Flower Crown.

"So I wanted to delve a bit more into your medical history," Dr. Pulitz said. "Your first hospital didn't seem to take much of a medical exam, aside from your vitals."

I shrugged in response. "Not like I have a choice."

"I would like to think that this is a team effort, something we're working on together."

"Isn't that called a delusion?"

He let out a long sigh, before rolling his chair closer to me. "Let's start with the basics. Does anyone in your family suffer from a physical or mental illness?"

"My brother has asthma."

He ticked something off on the iPad in his hands. "Anything else?"

I shook my head.

"How do you feel about your current weight?"

"What, is this a psych eval now?"

He didn't respond. "Let's try not to deflect."

Deflect. There it is again.

"I feel like it's a number on a scale."

"When you see the number on the scale, what kinds of thoughts go through your head?"

How was I supposed to answer that? "I wonder if the numbers are going to go up or down?"

He nodded. "Anything else?"

"I guess that I hope the numbers go down."

He took note of that. "What do you feel would be an acceptable weight?"

My goal weight was 80. "Well according to my first doctor, I need to be obese."

"So 120 pounds is obese?"

"A lot larger than I'd ever want to be."

He took note of that as well. "And 92?"

I just shrugged in response.

"What would you say your goal weight is, Emily?"

"80 would be ideal."

This time he hummed aloud as he recorded my response. "Do you know how old you'd have to be for 80 to be an appropriate weight?"