Being Enough: 22

"Mind if I join you?"

I glanced over to see Emmett taking a seat on the ground next to me.

I rolled my head back so it was facing the sky again. "I didn't say yes."

"I wasn't really asking."

Emmett sprawled out on the grass, fixing his gaze on the sky above.

"What are we doing out here?" Emmett asked.

"Alison said I should get some Vitamin D," I said. "She said it'd be good for me."

Emmett picked up a few pieces of grass, tossing them out and letting the wind catch them.

"Are you here to check up on me?" I asked.

He sat up again, angling himself so that he was facing me. "No."

"Bullshit."

He nodded toward the apartment complex behind us. "Parker can see you from the window."

Oh.

Emmett pulled out a few more pieces of grass, letting the wind catch them.

Taking that as a sign that the conversation was over, I closed my eyes, letting the Sun wash across my face.

I didn't feel the tiniest bit better. But I wanted to spend the entirety of the hour outside just to tell Alison that she was full of shit.

Silence passed between the two of us for several minutes, so much so that I figured Emmett had left.

"Lee?" Emmett asked.

Apparently not.

I pried open my eyes, glancing toward him. "What?"

"Why do you always assume I'm here on Parker's behalf?"

"Because you're his best friend," I pointed out. "He sends you to do all of his dirty work."

Emmett cracked a smile at that, but it was gone just as quickly as it came. "Can we talk for a sec?"

I'm so sick and fucking tired of talking. "Depends on what the subject matter is."

"Me. You. Us."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you breaking up with me?"

Emmett actually laughed at that. "You're being your usual, sarcastic self I see."

"Call it a good day."

He fell silent again, much to my annoyance.

"I thought you wanted to talk," I reminded him.

"I do," he said. "I'm just trying to think of the right words."

I'd heard that one before. "Don't talk to me about therapy, Emmett."