Being Enough: 5

Alison also happened to be our family therapist

What a fucking coincidence.

I couldn't help but wonder what qualified her to do both. Did she have to go to school longer? Or was it just a quick training?

Here's how to counsel teenagers who want to kill themselves. One quick course and we can teach you how to fix dysfunctional families too.

Doesn't sound like a class I'd excel in.

Alison started off the session asking why we thought we were referred to family therapy and what we hoped to gain.

It was my first time inside of Alison's office. So while Parker was chattering away, I took to studying my surroundings.

Her office had a therapist feeling to it. There were books on positive thinking and the power of the subconscious that lined her bookshelf. Her degrees, which she had two of, were hung on the wall.

She had her Masters in Counseling Psychology. That sounded like a waste of time to me.

"Lee?" Alison asked.

My eyes flickered toward her, and I raised an eyebrow in question.

"What do you think about what Parker's had to say?"

As if I gave two shits about Parker's opinion going into this. So I just shrugged in response, my focus returning to her office.

She had an iMac desktop computer. What could she possibly need an iMac for?

Did she do some video editing on the side? Make a few extra bucks on YouTube?

"This is what it's like," Parker said. "I try to communicate and he can't be bothered to give a shit."

Fair enough.

I leaned back in my seat, folding my arms across my chest. "You have my full attention, Parker. Do your worst."

Alison smiled. The two of us rarely ever interacted, apart from the sketchbook incident.

"I'm not your enemy," Parker said, with a sigh. "I just want to be there for you."

"You can be there for me at my funeral."

I watched as he clenched and un-clenched his fist. But he didn't comment.

So I kept going. "You say that you want what's best for me and that you're here to support me. But you never listen to what I want."

"And what's that, Lee?" Alison asked.

"To die. Obviously."

She nodded. "Fair enough. Let's start there."

Parker raised an eyebrow at her. "You want to talk about Lee's willingness to commit suicide? Again?"