Being Enough: 8

"So the new medication is making you sick?"

I glanced up at Parker from where I was curled up in bed. "Emily told you that?"

He nodded, taking a seat at the edge of my bed. "I'll talk to the psychiatrist over at Serenity Bay in the morning."

I nodded, the conversation tapering off from there.

"Need anything?" Parker asked me.

I didn't answer, and I don't think he was expecting me to in the first place.

He stood up, shoving his hands into his pockets. "I'm going to watch some TV. I think Emmett is coming over after his shift."

"I don't need to know the schedule."

He flipped off my light as he left.

I wrapped my arms around myself, slowly inhaling and exhaling.

It could've worked if there hadn't been a loud crash in the living room.

"Holy fuck," I heard Emmett's voice say. "Let me... uh..."

I pushed myself up out of bed, heading into the kitchen.

"Don't move!" Emmett ordered, holding up his hand. "Broken glass everywhere."

I glanced down at the floor, where Parker was sitting in the middle of a broken vase, holding his hand to his chest.

"The broom is in the hall closet," I said, stepping around the glass. "I'll grab the first aid kit."

"Lee, are you sure-" Emmett started.

"-that I won't be tempted to kill myself?" I finished for him. "No promises."

He went back to the hall closet without another word.

"It's really okay, Lee," Parker said, as I stepped over the glass with a first aid kit in hand.

I sat down next to him, popping open the kit. "You don't get to die."

Parker raised an eyebrow at me in question.

I pulled out the gauze, wrapping it around his hand. "If I have to live, then you do too."

He took the gauze tape, ripping a piece himself. "I'm not going to die, Lee. It's just a scratch."

"Got the broom!" Emmett announced, coming back into the room. "Everything good in here?"

I stood up, leaving the first aid kit on the floor. "He'll survive. I'm going back to bed."

Parker pushed himself up, still cradling his arm to his chest. "Here, Emmett, pass me the broom. I'll clean this up."

They started bickering behind me, my presence going unnoticed.

I swiped a piece of glass, tucking it into my pocket before making my way to the bathroom.