Being Enough: 4

*trigger warning: self-harm*

Alison brought a new puzzle for us to work on during therapy.

The past week that I've been here, it's become a routine for us. At 10:30, Alison meets me in the common room with a new puzzle. And for the next hour we sit and work together in silence.

I was still annoyed by her presence, but I was able to overcome it by pouring my attention into the puzzle at hand.

Today it was a 1,000-piece puzzle of a cherry blossom tree, another difficult one due to the similar colors.

We'd become pretty good at finishing the puzzle within the hour time frame, but today was proving to be a challenge.

Time was running short and we were only halfway done.

Alison leaned back in her chair. "I guess this one bests us, huh?"

I didn't answer, as she knew that I wouldn't.

I continued working, and Alison disappeared. I'm sure to get lunch or whatever it is that she does when she leaves me here.

But this time she returned, a book in hand. She placed it down on the table.

If she expected to get my attention with a sketchbook, she was sorely mistaken. I owned at least five of them, and that was just in the new apartment. No telling where the rest of my collection was.

And then she produced coloring pencils.

"You know I could cut with those, right?" I asked, without looking up from the puzzle. "That's why Parker removed them from the apartment."

She took her seat again. "Parker? That's your guardian, correct?"

I didn't answer. I'd been to enough therapists to know a therapy trap when I heard one.

"Parker is worried about your progress," she continued, when I didn't say anything. "So I thought that we could take a couple of steps."

"I'm not really into walking, thanks."

She cracked a small smile. "I want you to take this sketchbook and see if you can fill it up."

"I already have some."

She pushed the sketchbook toward me. "Just give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen?'

I rolled my eyes, but didn't protest any further.

It wasn't worth my time.

She stood up once again. "I'll see you tomorrow then. Maybe we can think about meeting in my office?"

Doubt it.

She left with that, and I continued working on the puzzle. It was done by the time Parker was here to pick me up.