Being Enough: 13

Apparently my Mental Health team had already been two steps ahead of me

"We're going to take a break on Family Therapy for a while," Alison said. "Is that okay with you?"

"I'm over-fucking-joyed, can't you tell?"

She picked up her iPad. "I don't see it benefitting either you or Parker in any beneficial way."

"Me either."

She was swift to change the subject. "So how are things with Nurse Adelaide?"

"She threatened to forcibly deliver me to therapy. So there's that."

Alison took note of that. "How'd that make you feel?"

Vulnerable.

"Pissed," I said, lowering my eyes. "It's not fucking legal to manhandle me."

She let out a small sigh. "We're not manhandling you, Lee. We're simply trying to help you."

"Well you're doing a shit job."

"Noted."

I hate how well Alison kept up with my sarcasm. "Let's talk about something else."

She nodded. "What's on your mind?"

"Death."

She nodded again. "What else?"

"Suicide."

Again, she nodded. "And?"

"I don't know, kittens and rainbows. What the fuck do you think?"

"Let's talk about the animal rescue center," she suggested.

Let's not. "No."

"You had the pick of the town," she continued, as though I hadn't spoken, "what made you decide to go and visit a turtle?"

"Did Parker tell you that?"

She didn't answer.

"I don't want him to fucking talk for me," I spat. "Can I file something against him? Something that requires him to shut the hell up?"

Alison smiled. "Let's try and stay on topic?"

Fuck my life. "I don't care about the animal rescue center. I don't care about the turtle with the stupid name. I don't care about any of it, okay?"

"Then why go?"

I shrugged. "Because Parker wanted me to. And I thought it'd be easier than having to come to Family Therapy. Bad judgement on my part."

"What's the turtle's, as you put it, stupid name?" Alison asked.

"Squirtle," I scoffed. "After a fucking Pokémon. Figures."

"Not a Pokémon fan?"

I shrugged in response. "I just don't give a shit about it."

"Fair enough."