Being Perfect: 14

I'd gotten the ward addicted to America Ninja Warrior

We tuned in every week with anticipation, watching the qualifying rounds.

Rebecca scoffed next to me. "This chick is such a show-off. I hope she falls on the first obstacle."

"That's not nice," Aisha chastised.

"Like I give a fuck."

Nurse Jaclyn stepped into the room. "Emily and Vickie? You both have phone calls."

"You better pause this!" Vickie called out, as she exited the room.

"As if," Rebecca huffed.

We were at the two pay phones next to one another, and I watched as Vickie stepped as far away from me as possible, leaning against the wall.

As though I wanted to listen to her conversation.

"Right on time," I said, as I picked up the phone. "Fill me in on your week."

Emmett always liked to talk first. I think it gave him a sense of relief, like we weren't across the ocean from one another.

Like it was just another dinner conversation between the two of us.

As I listened to Emmett's week, which involved way too much of his best friend Parker Adams for me to actually pay attention to, my mind began to wander back to the group therapy session.

It was as though an uncontrollable, inner force made me involuntarily interrupted Emmett's spiel, blurting out before I could stop myself. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, Em," Emmett said. "Anything."

I felt my eyes go wide. I hadn't meant to say that. It's not like I was going to discuss my therapy with him.

"How is the team doing?"

One. Two. Three.

Emmett was silent for three beats. "Um, okay I guess?"

When I didn't say anything else, I heard him clear his throat. "You know that I know that's not what you wanted to say, right?"

Of course.

I glanced over my shoulder at Nurse Emerson, who was watching Vickie and me to ensure that our conversations went well.

To make sure we weren't asking those on the phone to smuggle in some laxatives or coffee.

"You know what I really miss?" I blurted out. "Coffee."

"You can't have coffee?" Emmett questioned.

I shook my head, only to realize that he couldn't see me. "Um, no. It's considered an appetite suppressant or something like that."

"Oh."