Being Enough: 10

Parker wanted to go to the beach

"Let's just go separately," I suggested. "And then we can tell Alison that we spent the day together."

He rolled his eyes in response.

"I'll go where I want to go and you go lay out at the beach. And then we can tell her how much we bonded, how much we love one another, and get the hell out of family therapy."

Parker took my piece of paper. "Where do you want to go?"

I reached over and snatched it out of his hand before he could open it. "It doesn't matter because we aren't doing this stupid exercise."

I could tell that he was reining in his temper. "Look, I'm not thrilled about this either. But we're going to fucking do this, so let me see."

"I didn't consent."

"Good thing I'm your guardian. We're fucking doing it."

I wanted to reach across the couch and strangle him. "Make me."

"You don't want me to."

We both stared each other down, the tension in the air thick.

So no different than any other day that we spent together.

"You like the beach," Parker said, his voice coming out as a whisper.

"So?"

"What's the hesitation? Instead of family therapy, we get to spend the day at the beach. That's a win-win for me."

I didn't want to go to the beach with Parker. I didn't want to go anywhere with Parker.

"No thanks."

He let out a frustrated sigh. "I just don't understand why you're so fucking difficult about everything."

"That's because you don't understand me."

Parker gritted his teeth, and I could tell he was about to snap. "I need a break from this conversation." He stood up, turning on his heel and heading toward the kitchen.

"Learn that in anger management?" I called out after him. "Walk away when the going gets tough?"

"Fuck off, Lee!" he called back, his voice tight.

"If only you'd let me."

He didn't answer that, and I heard the refrigerator door open.

I closed my eyes, leaning back against the couch with a sigh.

We were never going to get anywhere.

And then I felt the piece of paper disappear out of my hands.

My eyes flew open as Parker stood up on the coffee table, holding the paper up over his head as he opened it.

"Give that back!" I demanded, standing up as well.