Chapter 24

The brunette tightened the straps on his arms and checked if his stance was right, testing out his kicks and defence whilst waiting for his teammates to join him. The sky was darkening and the heavy clouds crowded overhead, Taehyung couldn't seem to detect any chance of rain. He could only hope for the best that the mission goes somewhat to plan. He did not want to fail it so easily after getting so far. He made his way towards the jet, jogging towards the dark coloured aircraft and looked back, seeing Jung kook suited up with his armour. He had a gun slung on his shoulder and he folded his arms, eyeing the brunette and walked over to join his friend.

"You ready?" Jung kook asked, turning his back towards the jet and facing Taehyung. The soldier pursed his lips, trying to think of an answer. Honestly, he wasn't that he was not given enough time to figure things out, then again, he was on death's door multiple times. Asking for more time would be selfish.

"Yeah," Taehyung replied. He seemed to be trying to convince himself more than actually replying to Jung kook. He gritted his teeth as the door from the side of the jet screeched open, slamming onto the ground, ready for his teammates to pile in. Jung kook fished out a knife from one of his many pockets and handed it over to Taehyung. The brunette stared at it, confused.

"Take it. Extra weapon." Jung kook explained. The soldier gingerly took it from his friend's gloved hand and sheathed it to the side of his belt. He did not like knives, the blade itself was just too tempting before. His head shot up when the familiar zip rang through his ears, he just caught Jimin running towards them, followed by Seokjin and Hoseok. Taehyung frowned as he did not spot Yoongi at all. He has not seen or asked for him since the accident. The brunette tried to mask his disappointment but Jimin caught it just in time, patting his friend on the shoulder as a sign to not worry. But Taehyung felt as if a tonne of rock just smashed into his shoulder and the desire to succeed and protect everyone was carried by himself, alone, once again.

Seokjin checked the ammo in his weapons, pulling out the cartridge and shoving it back when he scanned through most of them. He nodded at Hoseok and the man smiled back, flashing a bigger one when he spotted Taehyung waiting for them. Together, they boarded the plane and Seokjin took charge of operating it, sliding into the pilot's seat and flicking the buttons. Taehyung waited for everyone to get seated or at least comfortable before pulling up the door and closing it shut, locking it with the sensor attached to the side. He got towards the controls and leaned against the panels as Seokjin pulled out some screens from the control panel itself. There was a detailed map layout of the city and the red dot indicated their location at the time.

"Like we discussed before, Jung kook and I would jump off whilst you take the rest and secure the building. If the building does not pose a problem, take it out quickly. If we do fail, send in Hoseok, he can help." Taehyung ordered as the plane took off and shot up into the dark and murky sky. The clouds were obscuring their view but they were making their way back quite easily as the sun began to peek and shine through the clouds. The sky was beginning to turn blue, which meant their time for stealth would be running out very soon. Having a black plane in broad daylight sparing overhead does scream enemies or bad guys to everyone.

Jung Kook stood up as the plane began to descend. Taehyung got towards the door and cracked it open, the mechanic door fizzed and shifted open. Wind poured in and the cold wrapped itself around the two. Taehyung sets one foot to the edge and peered down, he squinted and saw the aircraft hovering right below him. The engines spinning rapidly and the lights flickering on and off, clouds crowded over the whole craft, letting it hide within the morning clouds. The brunette held onto his shield and leaned forward, even more, spotting the area that houses the other men.

"We are going down," Taehyung said. He turned towards Jung kook and Taehyung patted his friend on the shoulder. "You okay on your own?"

"Just catch me when you are down there, yeah?" Jung kook joked. Taehyung chuckled and gave his friend a thumbs up.