Chapter 27

The soldier went towards Seokjin and as the assassin noticed the case, as flicked open his walkie-talkie and talked into it, informing others around him that Jung kook found what they needed and to gather. The soldier grabbed Seokjin to the side, the blonde was saying something, protesting against Jung kook's actions. Jung kook brought Seokjin towards a concrete slab and stood behind it, clear of the rest's view. He passed the metal case to Seokjin and unbuttoned his vest, the assassin stood there, raising his eyebrow inquisitively and the younger began to rummage through the protective layers of the vest.

Once Jung kook was able to grab the envelopes, he pulled it out and passed it to Seokjin. "What is it?" Seokjin asked, setting the casing in between his boots and grabbing the envelopes from Jung kook's grip. He unravelled the strings and pulled out the crisp papers, scanning through the sentences and information printed onto the documents. With each passing moments, Seokjin's face warped into horror and disbelief. "No... no way. How did you get your hands on things like this?"

"It belonged to the case. They wanted this the most. We cannot give this to them." Jung kook explained. He took back to the two sets of envelopes and stuffed it back into the vest. He buttoned it back up and took off his mask, stuffing it into his baggy pockets. "It's either you are with me in this, or you are not. I will let the rest know by tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?! Jung kook, this is serious, we cannot let the rest know by tomorrow!" Seokjin argued, snatching the case from the dusty ground. "We have to let them know now! The documents and serums can cause mass destruction. Like I've said before, those two have changed. We don't have much time if we somehow know what this actually is supposed to be."

"I have to look through this myself." Jung kook turned and walked away, nodding silently at his other teammates. He ruffled his hair and felt the locks between his fingers, he reached for the metal keys in his pockets and took them out from the deep pockets. The metal on his skin, the hoop around his fingers. Jung kook scouted behind the building and pushed himself up with one lift of his arm. He scaled the building swiftly and reached the edge, pulling himself to the roof, landing on the gravel-filled roof. He walked towards the edge of the roof, stepping on the slight elevation of the edge. Jung kook saw the city sleeping in the snow, he spotted the small apartment that Taehyung resided in. He jumped down from the building and landing heavily on the concrete below.

Jung kook took off running, climbing on top of buildings and passing by some overhead chimney and smoke. Jung kook stopped in his tracks as he saw a misty vision to the past, it was much darker and dirtier then. However, people were roaming the streets happily, laughing and returning to their home as the sun sets. Jung kook shakes off the vision and continued to make his way back to his new home. The soldier jumped again, for the last time and landed heavily on the pavement below his boots. He let out a sigh and got towards the door, opening it as he jiggled the doorknob. The door creaked open easily, the soldier entering the two-storey apartment without much effort. He climbed up the stairs quickly, the wooden steps creaking under his boots. His hands were rubbing against the blue railing, the dust being passed onto his skin. He rubbed them off and came face to face with the black door. The metal plate on the door and the doorknob were placed at the left side. Jung kook jabbed the key into the keyhole and turned, the click was overwhelmingly loud to him. The door was unlocked and it swung open. The fear was consuming him as the darkness in the apartment was practically screaming in his ears.

He stepped in the house, the floorboards creaked as his weight pressed against it. He reached out to the side and flicked on the lights. The lightbulbs buzzed to life and Jung kook saw how the room was messy, books littered the ground and glass pieces shattered everywhere. Drawers were bring ripped through and papers were peeking out from the drawers, Jung kook closed the door behind him and he walked into the bedrooms. He saw the two small rooms and turned to what seemed like Taehyung's. He stepped inside, the scent of his friend entered his nose, he sweet yet compelling scent was bringing him back to the past yet again. Jung kook noticed his body acted on its own and he flopped onto Taehyung's bed, hugging his sides as he finally registered how lonely, and painful it was for him to stay here and mourn for something he may not be able to get back.