Original Edition: Chapter 8

"Don't you ever steal something from your parents?"

I INITIALLY THOUGHT I HAD TO WAIT LONGER but at two am on Monday morning, Scarlet nearly knocked my door down and woke me up in the process

I INITIALLY THOUGHT I HAD TO WAIT LONGER but at two am on Monday morning, Scarlet nearly knocked my door down and woke me up in the process. I sat up straight on my bed thinking I was under attack when she suddenly jumped on my bed, carrying a thick book.

     "Camila! Camila, I got it!!" Her voice sounded super excited but I couldn't stifle my yawn. It's two AM for Odin's sake! Seemed like that annoyed her as she grabbed my shoulders and shook my whole body while saying "Wake up!" in an annoyed tone.

     I shrugged her off. "Okay, okay, I'm awake now. Geez. What is it?" I was about to yawn again but she shot me daggers, sending me a 'don't you dare' vibe. I raised both hands in defeat. Geez, is she on her period or something?

     "It's the answer to all of your questions." She wiggled her eyebrows, clearly pleased with her choice of words for dramatic effect. When she noticed how unamused I was, she twitched her lips. "You could at least pretend to look excited. I work my ass off to steal this without mom noticing."

     If Scarlet was a regular girl, my classmate perhaps, I wouldn't be worried about her stealing something from her mom. But since she was a pure royal and her mom was our Queen, I freaked out right now. "You stole from your mom?!" I asked her incredulously.

    "Yeah, why?" She shrugged and raised one brow in question. Scratching her head, she looked at me as if I was stupid for not getting the facts straight the first time she'd mentioned it.

     I took a deep breath, telling myself that it was alright, at least she didn't get caught. At least the Queen didn't know yet. "She's the Queen," I said matter-factly.

     "And also my mother," Scarlet rolled her eyes. "Don't you ever steal something from your parents?" Yes, I did. Tons of liquor from Hawke's liquor cabinet but that was beside the point. "And it's just her diary anyway." Scarlet quickly added.

     "Oh my God. That's it, we're going to put it back from where you took it. Come on." I swung my legs, getting ready to drag her but she caught my arm. "Don't you want to know, Camila?"

     I sighed exasperatedly. "About what? The punishment for someone who stole the Queen's diary? I doubt it'll be kind anyway. Come on now, no time to waste!" I put on my flip-flop.

     "Not that," Scarlet shook her head. "About the reason why you're the last Stavros."

     I flinched at the mention of my dying clan. "I know why I'm the last one. The others were killed in the massacre."