Original Edition: Chapter 25

Love and Longing

"WHERE IS HE? WHERE IS MY SON?" asked Lord Norman Ambrosia in a domineering manner that showed both arrogance and superiority

"He's still in the operation room," answered Kris since no one else said anything.

Lord Ambrosia ignored Vlad's hard stare and gave Kris a nod. It seemed that he only hated the men in the family: Vlad and his father, Kristov Ambrosia.

I'd heard from Vlad that Norman loved his mother, causing a dispute between the brothers since both men loved Jane but Kristov was the one that had a click with her. Maybe that had been the reason why Norman wanted Vlad to give up on me so I could be with Adrian. Yet again, destiny spoke differently and I had a click with Vlad.

I slid my gaze to the woman who was quiet the whole time. She looked like she wanted to be anywhere but here and for a second, I thought she was here because of Norman and that she didn't love Adrian, however, the tearstains underneath her eyes told me she actually cared.

"So, you're Kristen's soul mate?"

Norman's question brought my focus back to him. I watched him giving Diego a once-over with his scrutinizing gaze. My best friend stiffened and so did Diego.

"Yes. Allow me to introduce myself, Lord Ambrosia. My name is Diego Alexander Garcia. It is an absolute honor to meet you." Despite being looked down upon, Diego didn't lose his manner and I respected him for that. Many people, myself included, would throw a punch or lose my temper if I were to receive Norman's nasty look.

"A mere royal?" asked Norman incredulously. He slid his gaze to Kris and put one hand on her shoulder, making my best friend flinch. "You deserve a pureblood, a Christoulakis perhaps, so you could be a relative to our beloved Queen."

Kris looked confused. Maybe because a loving uncle that she had known for years suddenly sounded so discriminating.

"But again, we cannot choose who our soulmate is. The gods are the ones that chose them for us." Norman let out a harsh laugh. "If I can choose a soulmate for my son, it won't be that Vidales girl. A Christoulakis would suffice, or maybe even a Stavros." He gave me a meaningful look as he mentioned my family name.

We heard the sounds of soles hitting the marble floor as they headed to us and noticed that they belonged to none other than Vlad and Kris' parents, Jane and Kristov Ambrosia.

"How is he? How is Adrian?" asked Jane at the same time as Kristov asked, "what did the doctor say?"

"We don't know yet. He's still undergoing surgery," answered Vladimir.

"Oh dear, how could something like this happen? How could Emily do this?" Jane shook her head in disbelief. Knowing that the girl her son had dated before was capable of poisoning someone shocked her.

I felt the need to tell her that maybe Emily hadn't had a choice. Maybe she'd done it because she had to. "She was part of the faction, I believe."

Kristov Ambrosia stiffened. "Which one? The old or the new one?"