Original Edition: Chapter 34

"Sometimes I wish I am worthy of you."

The Hidden Truth

The Hidden Truth

"ONCE THE QUEEN got a hold of the staff, the massacre stopped. The faction went underground since they couldn't find Stavros without it," explained Klas. "We thought they would give up the idea and move on but apparently they didn't. They put a mole in the heart of CG and managed to find out where the staff was hidden."

The story overwhelmed me. There were a lot of things that happened while I was gone.

Vladimir lowered his brows into a knot and turned to Klas as he asked, "A mole?"

Klas nodded. "Brad Warwick."

Just when I thought there was nothing that could surprise me more. "BRAD?!" I yelled in disbelief. "He was assigned to protect me! He can't be a mole." My hands moved frantically as I tried to form words in my head. "He had so many chances to kill me. If he was a mole, he should've done it!"

Klas looked at me apologetically. He understood my utter disbelief but he knew the truth, something that I could barely grasp at the moment. "That's why the Queen assigned Scarlet as an additional bodyguard and brought you to live in the Palace."

I wanted to argue. I wanted to tell him that the Queen ordered me to live in the Palace just so that she could control me yet my mind brought back a memory from a few months ago, from the day I'd met Scarlet for the first time.

"I'm not only here to guard you. I'm watching him." With that last word, she nodded towards Brad who was walking a few feet in front of us.

"Brad?" I asked incredulously. Scarlet answered me with a single nod. "Why?"

"That," She paused and gave me a mysterious smile. "Is not something I can tell you."

I turned to Klas and Vlad. He took the acceptance on my face as a green light and continued with the story, "Brad managed to find out where the staff was hidden and escaped before we managed to catch him. The reason why the faction attacked the Palace two days ago was to retrieve the staff."

"Wait, so those people aren't from the new faction?" I was so confused. If my brain could ask for a time-out, it would.

Surprisingly, Klas shrugged. "I think they're from the old faction. If not, I don't think Spyridon would've let the Queen stay."

This brought me to the question I had been dying to ask: "what's going on between the Queen and Spyridon? They seemed to be so close."