Original Edition: Chapter 44

* @WinnieCool this one's for you *

"Tell her that boys don't have cooties."

The Heir

The Heir

I WAS RUNNING MY WAY back to the Court Hospital when Hades and Persephone appeared in front of me. I came to a halt to prevent myself from bumping into them. Right now was not the right time to chat so I moved to the left and walked past them. Hades caught my wrist.

"If you want to see him, we need to get back to the Underworld." When I tried to free my wrist from his grip, he added, "his soul has left his body, sweetheart. Even if you go there, you can only see his body."

"Why didn't you save him?" I asked, closing my eyes against the tears that were pooling in my eyes. I started sobbing, the thought of never seeing Vlad crushed my heart. "Why?"

Persephone answered it for him, "because we can't mess with the human's lives."

"But Zeus brought Rhea back!" I yelled out of frustration. "You brought me back!"

"And chaos happened," said someone behind me. I turned around to see Spyridon and Adrian walking towards us. "You saw what happened after Hades had brought you back," added Spyridon.

I wanted to say that I didn't care. I wanted to tell them that I didn't care if the world crashed and burned as long as I got Vlad back but one tiny part of my heart felt guilty for even thinking about it.

"Avery sweetheart," said my father softly. "If you come with us now to the Underworld, you might catch Vladimir before he meets the judges."

I quickly reached for the keys on the necklace but his hand caught mine. "We don't need to use that." With a blink of an eye, we were back in the Underworld. My father told me to take a seat, he said Charon was on his way to bring Vladimir's soul here.

Honestly, I didn't know how to feel. Although my mind started to accept the fact that he died, my heart refused to do so. We hadn't had much time together. In fact, the longest time we'd spent together was before I was brought back. After I'd come back from the Underworld, it felt like the world was angry and kept throwing bad things at me. This, losing Vlad, was the worst.

Zeus and Queen Rhea appeared a few minutes after we got here. They eyed me warily from across the room. My outburst earlier probably had surprised them. Well, they should know that I was no longer Sienna Rose who always put their love story as a priority. Now I had my own love to be worried about.

I waited for another five minutes before Charon finally arrived. He docked his boat by the balcony and Vladimir stepped out. The second our eyes met, we ran towards each other only to walk through one another. I blinked, realizing that he was just a soul and just like Queen Rhea and Caesar, I wasn't able to touch him.