Original Version: Chapter 26

"You're heroin and I'm a drug addict,"

IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEKS since Adrian had his surgery

IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEKS since Adrian had his surgery. Fourteen days of camping in his hospital room, waiting for him to wake up and throw a joke or two.

I stood up from the armchair that I'd been sitting for nearly four hours and felt the stiffness of my neck. I ignored the throbbing pain and reminded myself that it was nothing compared to what Adrian had felt.

I've told you to stop spiraling. This isn't good for you, love, and I know it's not what he wants. I heard Vlad talk through the bond. It was unfortunate that he took the cup meant for you but you didn't give it to him, you didn't spoonfeed him. He took it by his own will. Plus, you didn't know that it was laced with poison. If anyone's at fault, it was Emily so don't beat yourself up, okay?

I took a deep breath and nodded.

Okay.

To Adrian, I leaned forward and whispered softly, "I'm going for a walk. I'll be back soon. Don't go anywhere, okay?" I let out a chuckle as I added, "although I'll be very happy to see you walking around because that means you're finally awake." I gave his hand a gentle squeeze and headed to the door.

The Court Hospital, especially the VVIP section, one for pure royals, looked like the kind of hospital building in one of the futuristic movie. I'd been here before, that time when Adrian had been shot. Again, the bullet was aimed at me.

I bit my lips as I tried my best not to blame myself, something that I found it hard to do. Adrian had literally taken two hits which were meant for me. He'd saved my life twice and I owed him that.

I gave a sardonic laugh. "I owe so much to him yet I have nothing to give back, to repay him for what he did."

That's if he survives this, what if he dies? What could I possibly offer him if he isn't there to receive it?

I shook that nasty thought off my mind and squeezed my eyes shut.

He'll be alright, Avy. [V]

I brushed the tears with the back of my hand and headed back to Adrian's room. It took more than fifteen minutes to get back since apparently, I'd walked quite far away without realizing.

My hand was on the doorknob, about to push it open when I heard her voice. It was Renata.

"....I seriously think the gods are angry with me. I've lost Joseph and that broke me." I heard Renata sob and wondered if perhaps I should go. The door, however, would stupidly swing open on its own if I didn't hold it. It was either let it swung open or closed it which would create noise, either way, it would ruin the moment. So I decided to hold the door until Renata finished.

"You know, I've always thought that Joseph was using me to get Intel on Vidales. I mean, I was the easiest target. No Vidales would want to have anything to do with a regular," she paused and laughed harshly. "We both know Vidales was full of gold digging whores and manipulative power-hungry assholes. So yeah, when I found out that he was a CG, a spy with a special mission, I felt used. He told me that he loved me but I didn't believe him. I tried to convince myself that I was no longer that girl." Renata sobbed.