Original Edition: Chapter 24

Complications

I GLANCED AT THE TWO GROWN MEN standing before me

I GLANCED AT THE TWO GROWN MEN standing before me. It was different than before, these two weren't as young as Joseph and Brad.

Flint Copper, the red-haired guy with a stiff smile, was forty-one years old. Spyridon had told me that Flint was Pete's mentor and felt the need to fulfill Pete's job in protecting me. The other guy, a thirty years old Swedish born with black short hair, was called 'Klas', a nickname from his birth name Nikolaus Andersson.

As I looked at Flint and Klas and cringed at their lack of a sense of humor, I missed Joseph and Brad even more. Sure, Joseph was almost as humorless as Flint or Klas but he'd been a better company. Maybe it was their age, having two bodyguards who were old enough to be my parents made me feel like a little kid being watched by two responsible adults.

In short, it sucked.

"I have to go to the hospital," I informed both of Glint, feeling that since we were both Americans, there should be no language barrier. Again, if it were Joseph or Brad, I didn't have to tell them where I'd go, they would simply follow me.

Flint and Klas exchange glances or maybe it was their secret code. "How long will you be there?" asked Flint at last. The serious look he was giving me told me that he wanted it to be a short trip.

"Not long," I answered vaguely although I doubted it would be a short trip considering it was about Adrian and I wouldn't be able to sit tight at home until I made sure that he was okay.

Flint nodded and motioned me towards a parked car not far from where we were standing. Apparently having these two bodyguards included a bulletproof car and a driver, a guy named Andy.

I would've argued that this wasn't necessary but right now was simply not the right time. I had to get to the Court Hospital as soon as possible so I jumped inside the car once Klas opened the door.

The images of Adrian laying on the floor kept haunting me for the rest of the journey.

* * *

"Vlad!" I rushed forward and hugged him, knowing fully well that I needed a hug. I needed his hug. From a brief look at his face, I could tell that he was reading me the whole time and knew how horrible I felt about what happened to Adrian.

One hand held my back while the other caressed the back of my head as he murmured softly, "it's okay. Everything's going to be okay, Avy. He's gonna be okay."

That old nickname soothed me somehow. He kissed the top of my head and I let my hands drop to the sides of my body as I stepped back and turned to Kris. "How is he? How's Adrian?"

My best friend gave my hand a little squeeze. "He's still having the surgery but the doctor said that Adrian didn't drink much so he should be alright."

Diego, who was standing next to her, put one hand around Kris' shoulders, showing his support. I knew Kris would never lie but I also knew that Diego knew her better than anyone, even me. And his gesture indicated that she was hiding something from me and I wondered what it was.

Before I had the chance to ask, a man and a woman, both wearing white coats, rushed into the operating room, almost knocking me out of the way if Vlad didn't immediately pull me close to his side.

"Kris," I turned to my best friend and prepared myself for whatever news she was hiding from me. "What is it?" I watched her turn to Diego. He shrugged as if telling her that it was up to her whether she wanted to tell me or not.

"It's Emily," my best friend finally said.

I frowned. "What's with Emily?"

She didn't have to answer as I could get the answer loud and clear from Vladimir's mind.

She died. [V]

I gasped and turned to meet his eyes.

How? [A]

There were pain and agony in Vlad's eyes and he closed his eyes for a brief second.

She was poisoned. [V]

Vlad put his arms around me. He whispered some soothing words but I heard nothing as my mind was in complete chaos. I thought that when I returned to this world as Avery Montgomery, everything would be alright. I thought everything would fall into place but what happened was far from my expectations.

I let myself forget that besides being Avery Montgomery, I was also a Stavros. I carried a bloodline that everyone hated and wanted to eliminate. Coming back to this world, coming back to Vlad's arms, meant that I was coming back to hatred and suffering. A life that wasn't easy at all, a life of prey getting haunted by its predators.

I suddenly felt Vlad's arms stiffen and wondered what happened. I looked up to see him clenching his jaw and giving someone a cold, hard stare. I followed his gaze and my mouth fell open as I watched a man and a woman walking toward was. I didn't know who the woman was but I could tell she was a Lady, a royal, from the way she walked and held her head high.

The man, however, was no stranger. I would remember his face even until the day I died. He possessed a face that I would never forget. I should've known that he'd be here. After all, he was Adrian's father.

Lord Norman Ambrosia.

* * *

Do you think Adrian will survive?
Who do you think killed Emily?
Let me know your thoughts!