Original Edition: Chapter 37

"He's just being a good son who can't decline his father's request."

the gift of immortality

MY HANDS IMMEDIATELY reached the bare skin on the back of my neck. I could feel the cool metal against my fingertips and unfastened the clasp. Keeping my gaze locked on the key, I placed it on the table. I should've known that this was made by Hades, the Helm of Darkness should've been a clue.

"I don't understand," I murmured, sliding my gaze to my father and Persephone. "Why would the Queen need the key to the Underworld? And wasn't this key given to the Hellenicus centuries ago?" The more I thought about it, the more confused I became. "Queen Rhea couldn't possibly be alive. I mean, her soul always lives on through different bodies every time she was born to earth but she wouldn't be Rhea back then, right?" I rolled my eyes. "Unless of course, her name was also Rhea back then but my point is, they can't be the same person."

Persephone folded her arms across her chest and wiggled her eyebrows, enjoying the fact that she knew more than me. "Actually they can."

I lifted one quizzical brow. "How?"

"Isn't it obvious, Izzy?" mused Persephone. "It's because she's immortal."

My jaw dropped. "What?"

"She lives throughout the centuries, using the same body," She reached for her wine glass and twirled her wrist, making the content spiral inside, "looking exactly the same. Almost like gods and goddesses except for the fact that she doesn't have any power."

Using my thumb and forefingers, I massaged the bridge of my nose. All of this information was overwhelming and confusing at the same time.

"Okay. Let's just say Queen Rhea is immortal," I placed my hand flat on the table and swallowed, "doesn't matter whether she was bitten by a vampire or did a satanic ritual." Hades chuckled. "That still doesn't answer why she needs the key to the Underworld." He was about to answer when I quickly held up one hand and added, "I have one additional question."

Hades smiled. "What is it, dear?"

"Can an immortal even procreate?" I asked curiously. From what I'd watched from TVD and Supernatural (I wouldn't admit ever watching Twilight), they didn't. Except for Klaus but like the show always reminded the viewers, it was one of the nature loopholes. I wondered if Scarlet was just like Hope.

"Well, she does have a daughter, doesn't she? So yes, immortals can procreate just like gods can." He took a drink from his cup and swallowed. "Who do you think the person that lives here in the Underworld that she'd like to meet?"