Original Edition: Chapter 39

"I will break my promise if it means saving you."

ZEUS KNEW THE KEY TO getting what he wanted was me

ZEUS KNEW THE KEY TO getting what he wanted was me. He knew the second he took me away, it was game over. Whatever secret he'd been hiding would be buried forever. Once I was gone, there was no reason for my father to reveal the secret because despite what society chose to believe, Hades was not a bad guy. He wasn't the type to go around messing with other people's businesses.

So instead of directing his bolt toward my father, he moved it in my direction.

Hades was quick enough to push me out of the way but in doing so, I fell down with my back hitting the floor. The satchel that I'd been carrying all day was thrown a few feet away, spilling its content in the process. I crawled my way there, trying to catch the rolling crown. It had only been in my hand for a second before Zeus stood in front of me, one hand wrapped around my neck as he lifted me off the ground, choking the air out of me.

"How did you get the crown? It belongs to Cassandrhea!" he growled.

Honestly, I didn't know how could he become a god with this level of stupidity. How could I answer him when I couldn't even breathe?

Thankfully Hades grabbed Zeus's stretching arm and tightened his grip until he let go.

"Are you okay?" asked Persephone worriedly as she rushed to my aid. "Seriously, Dad, could you be more rational? Instead of barging in and using violence, why can't you sit and have a talk?"

"Fine," answered Zeus grumpily. He summoned his golden throne and took a seat. "I want to know how did you get your hands on that crown."

I took a deep calming breath before answering, "Queen Rhea gave it to me."

"Bah!" Zeus flicked his hand dismissively. "There's no way Cassandrhea would do something like that."

I really hated when people asked for the truth but immediately stamped you as a liar just because they didn't like what they'd heard. It was almost similar to people asking for advice but dismissing the thought in a blink.

"Well, apparently she did." I walked over to retrieve the satchel and pulled out the Queen's Diary. "She gave me this as well. And also this key." I showed both items to him, enjoying the look of utter disbelief and shock on his face.

"No," said Zeus, clearly in denial. "No! This can't be!" groaned him even louder this time. "Why would she do something like that?"

"I don't know," I replied carelessly. At this point, I didn't really care if he was the King of Gods or a frog. "Maybe she found your assholeness repulsive."

He looked up and glared at me, probably plotting my demise. "She loves me."

"If you say so." I nodded despite the confusion growing in my mind. If Queen Rhea was the Hellenica that Zeus fell in love with, did that mean she was Lady Sienna Stavros, our first Queen?

"There must be something that changed her mind, that made her pull something like this," mused Zeus, shaking his head lightly.

Hades smiled. "Why don't you ask her?"

Zeus looked at him in confusion then followed Hades' eyes and saw Queen Rhea standing tall with Spyridon (Dionysus) by her side. Here I thought this dinner would be just for the three of us yet people kept coming in without notice.

"How did you manage to get her here?" Hades asked curiously. Being a god, Dionysus could travel anywhere with no problem but Queen Rhea, on the other hand, couldn't. Without the key, the only way to come here was through death, yet Queen Rhea was pretty much alive.

"Your Charon is quite bribable, I dare say." Dionysus grinned. "A few gold coins are enough to get us anywhere."

My father sighed. He'd had so many talks with Charon regarding this, especially after he delivered Heracles (known as Hercules) and Perseus to the Underworld, but the old man had never listened.

With a few long, wobbly steps, Zeus rushed towards her, stopping only at arm's length. "Cassandrhea," Zeus whispered her name and touched her cheek.

His fingers loosened slightly around her wrist, then they tugged, pulling her closer into his embrace. "I've missed you so."

Queen Rhea took a step backward, her eyes staring directly at those piercing blues. Shocking everyone in the room, she slapped him across his face. If I wasn't too busy picking up my jaw off the floor, I would've put on a cheerleader outfit and held my pom-pom up, yelling "yes, girl, show him who's the boss!'.

Zeus was perplexed by the slap he'd received from someone he'd been convinced loved him so much. The look on his face wasn't angry because a mere Hellenica just slapped him in front of everyone, it was a look of confusion.

"How dare you betray your promise?" Her forefinger pointed at him, accusing. "You said you wouldn't lay a finger on her! You promised! Damn it, Zeus, you gave me your words, you fucking asshole!"

I refrained from screaming 'Hallelujah!' and bit my lips instead to keep myself from smiling.

"I will break my promise if it means saving you," whispered Zeus softly.

Apparently, Queen Rhea was not fond of cheesy lines as she scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Empty words won't get you anywhere. If Lord Hades didn't stop you, you probably killed her."

Zeus didn't say anything as he dropped his gaze to the floor. A small frown appeared on his forehead. No one liked to be scolded, not even gods.

Queen Rhea took her eyes off him and laid them on me. A worried smile formed on her beautiful face. "Are you okay?"

I returned her smile. "I am. Thank you. You're too kind for always caring."

She lifted her right hand and tucked the loose hair behind my ear. "Isn't that what sisters do, take care of each other?"

My eyes widened in confusion. Did she just say, sisters? "Pardon?"

Queen Rhea chuckled. "We've been separated through so many lives, perhaps that made you forget." Holding both of my hands, she looked deeply into my eyes from her lofty height. "Avery, your soul has traveled so many lives, been inside so many vessels, but centuries ago, when you were first born into this world, you were a Stavros and your name was Sienna Rose."

Mouth agape, I could only stare at her.

"And you're also my sister," added Queen Rhea. Tears slipped out of the corner of her eyes and fell on top of our entwined hands.

* * *

Phew! Finally, I get to reveal the biggest secret in this book! Although I know some of you smart people figured it out when Avy had that dream in the previous chapter.

What do you think is going on? If Lady Sienna Rose Stavros is Avery, does that mean the woman Zeus was in love with was her all along? Or was it Queen Rhea? Let me know your thoughts and theories!

Loads of pizza,
Your noob neighborhood author,
agatha x