Part 20 {Josh}

Grayson and I enter the school together.

'What's going on there?' Grayson asks. 'I don't know.'

We walk toward a mass of people, one person is sitting on the floor in the middle of the group.

I look at Grayson and grab his hand.

The person sitting on the ground is sitting in front of Josh's locker.

I push myself through the mass to see who it is.

Please be Josh, please be Josh.

I feel tears behind my eyes, 'who are you? And why are you sitting in front of his locker!?' I yell at the person sitting on the floor. 'Chill, girl,' he says and stands up facing me.

'Maya let's go,' Grayson says to me, grabbing my hand.

We walk away from all of the people and Grayson immediately pulls me into a hug.

'It's okay, we will find him,' he says.

I nod, we better do, because I really start to miss him.

- - -

Grayson went home with me after school.

'I forgot the key,' I say, embarrassed. 'Ow, can't you just knock?' 'Yeah, I can, but my mom always gets grumpy when I do.' 'You should put a key underneath that pile of stones,' Grayson says. 'That's a pretty smart idea.'

I knock on the window and my mom opens the door.

'What is he doing here?' She asks looking at Grayson. 'I brought him, to hang out.' 'You attacked my son! He is nowhere to be found because of you!'

She walks up to Grayson and just when she was going to hit him I jump in front of my mom.

Her hand hits my cheek.

It hurts, but better me than him.

'Stop it, mom!' 'You are defending him?' 'Yes!' 'Because he's your boyfriend isn't he!' She says very angrily.

'He is not coming in here.' She says. 'He is!'

'Maya, it is fine I will see you tomorrow in school,' Grayson says. I nod, give him a hug and he walks away.

I walk into the house.

'I don't want you to see that boy ever again.' 'Why!?' 'He is the cause of Josh not coming home,' she says.

'You've hated him ever since you met him, but you don't even know him!' 'Enough Maya! You are not allowed to see him ever again!' 'By the way, mom, it wasn't Grayson but his brother!'

I go upstairs into my room. I sit on the ground and all of sudden I start crying.

Why can't she just accept the fact that I am happy with him! I love him!

My mom obviously doesn't want me to be happy, that's for sure.

I can't stop crying, not even my mom wants me to be happy!

I get a pocket knife from a drawer, walk to the bathroom and put the knife against the inside of my forearm.

I cut myself.

It starts bleeding, heavenly.

I do it again at different places on my forearm.

Tears are running down my cheeks, it hurts, but not more than my emotional pain.

I get a towel and press it against the cuts. Why did I do that?

I clean up the mess and walk back into my room like nothing has happened.

2 weeks later

I hear the door bell ring.

I walk down stairs and open the door.

'Are you the owner of this house?' A police man asks. 'No,' and I yell for my mom to come down 'mom!'

My mom walks up to me. 'Goodafternoon gentleman, what can I do for you?' My mom asks.

'Are you miss. Holland?' 'Yes.' 'Can we please come in?'

My mom lets the police officers in and we all sit down in the living room.

'I have sad news for you, it's about Josh Holland.'

My mom and I look at each other and hold each other's hand.

'I have to tell you that, we found his body in the woods this morning.'

I feel my eyes getting watery and some tears running down my cheeks.

I look at my mom and she is crying as well. I give her a hug.

'My condolences, if you have any further questions you can come to the police station.'

'W-was he murdered?' My mom asks. 'No, it doesn't look like it. We think he died of the cold.'

The police officers get out and I follow them. Pierre is home with my mom she got enough support.

I sit down in my car staring at my steering wheel. He should've come home!

If he came home, he wouldn't be dead!

I start the engine and drive off towards Grayson's place.