[ 1 ] I'm Alive, Aren't I?

CHAPTER ONE

" she wanted to rip apart her skin, search for a reason why. Something was missing or broken, that had to be it. She wanted to know why she felt this way. Why she felt empty  "

The elevator makes a humming sound strangely similar to the Ark engine

The elevator makes a humming sound strangely similar to the Ark engine. It was the same dull lull that I heard 24/7 back on the Ark in my cell.

My notebook is clamped in my hands, the same type of leather bound journal my mother had. I was out doing my therapy walks, after finally escaping Monty and Jasper.

They had yet to believe this place was dangerous. Jasper was having the time of his life, whereas Monty could see where my concern was.

The elevator stops, and a heavy sigh emits from me. I had meant to go down, as far as I was allowed to at least. This stop meant someone was getting on, and that someone would probably gawk at me like a museum artifact.

The door opens almost as fast as my mouth drops.

"Clarke?!" I ask, my eyes widening as I take in the sight. Clarke was still in the white clothes, blood staining her side. I quickly take in the cut on her forearm, and judging from the glass, that was how. The brunette girl- Maya- was shakily trapped in Clarke's hold.

"A? Avalon?" Clarke shoves Maya into the elevator, and the Mountain girl presses the main floor. I decide my un-cleared visit to the bottom level could wait.

Clarke let's Maya go, instantly jumping into my arms. "I-I didn't know if you survived," Clarke breathes, her hands shaky on my back. I disregard the blood that stains my clothes from her embrace, happy to have my partner in crime back. Except I could tell the both of us felt it— the Bellamy shaped hole in the three musketeers.

I hold her against me tightly, glad she was here. There was no way Clarke wouldn't agree with me about this place. She had to believe me, she couldn't fall for this bullshit like everyone else had. I needed someone, anyone on my side.

"They stitched me up Blondie. But let Maya go-- She's not the one we should feel threatened by," I mumble into her hair, letting her arms fall from me. Maya had treated me like an actual human being the few days that it was just Monty and I, so I figured we owed her the same respect.

Clarke's eyes scan mine, as the elevator door dings for the lower level. I purse my lips, avoiding Mays's praying gaze. She knew I wasn't supposed to be on this level. The door closes when I don't step out, knowing Clarke needed help adjusting. I think she trusted me enough to believe me. We had been through a lot together.

"How many are here? Who are these people?" Clarke's voice demands pointedly, looking between Maya and I for an answer.