[ 45 ] revenge

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

" she still had faith in the people. maybe wrongly. but never lost it. "

「✱ ➶ ♕ ♡ 」

Bellamy had lost contact with us. On edge, Lexa let me draw up plans and help lead the last meeting before saving our people. It has to work, because we've lost so much time and too many people for it not too. Being back this close to the Mountain, I want to freeze. But if I do, the people won't know what they need to about their weapons, they wouldn't believe the alliance would last. The war paint covering my eyes felt normal, as if I had been wearing it this whole time. The holsters and sheaths covered my back, never having felt so ready to finally fight back. The Mountain had taken so much from me. What little innocence I had left, my friends, my right to choose and my dignity. At one point, it even took away my will to live.

And now, standing beside Lexa and Clarke, I know we can.

"They cannot leave the Mountain to fight. It does not, by any means, mean they lack in capabilities of the human mind," I scan the room, mouth settled into a thin line. "Bellamy disabled the fog. They have guns, and stations above as shooting towers. Men in suits, will shoot at you. Target those," I instruct, feeling in control for the first time in a while. "Do not get near them if possible. They can and will inject the serum that turns you into a reaper they can control. Turn you against your own people," My eyes land on Lincoln, right beside me. I still feel that guilt from not saving him, and he nods gently. "Finally, the last word we got on bone marrow growth," I fight the urge to pause, anger gnawing at me, knowing that Cage could very well have my blood flowing throughout his body. I'm not sure if when I see him, if I'll kill him or immediately freeze and cry, have a panic attack that makes the scars on my arms itch. "Still not located . So if you seen anyone outside, or not covered in burns when that door opens-- kill them. And bring their head to me," I finish with a curt nod, looking to Lexa for approval as a few warriors mutter words of positive appraisal at the last sentence.

I have spent weeks following her and learning how to lead like she does. How to make people follow you, no matter what you believe. On the outside, it may seem as if Lexa has different beliefs than me, but she makes the hard choices I might not be able to even if she does not believe in them. And I would like to believe that I can do the same now, even without compromising my morals more than I already have. Lexa's eyes shine when they meet mine, and that is how I know I haven't disappointed her. After everything our people have done to each other, we've overcome it to defeat the greater enemy.

"The Mountain has cast a shadow over us for too long. They've hunted us, controlled us, turned us into monsters," Lexa scowls, taking the room by storm. Again, I glance at Lincoln, shuffling closer to him. I know it still haunts him, what he did while under their control. My hand brushes his arm briefly, just to show him someone is there. He had been there for me since the beginning, and I owe him my life. "That ends today. Thanks to our alliance with the Sky People, the Mountain will fall. As Clarke said, we spare the innocent. As for the guilty...." Lexa looks to me, and I smile.