[ 6 ] Who I Want to Be

CHAPTER SIX

" she wanted them to be safe. to save them. she just wished it was with her, and that made her hate herself even more. she was selfish.  "

Miller and I had begrudgingly been led by Maya back to the dorms

Miller and I had begrudgingly been led by Maya back to the dorms. I had been a bit quiet, not being able to tell Miller the things I really wanted to with Maya there. I didn't not trust her, but I didn't trust her either.

    "Hey," Miller smiles as we walk into the dorms. My eyes scan the room, people playing games and laughing , until they land on Clarke. She had the map in her hands, and my lips purse realizing she was making her own copy.

    "Miller," Clarke breathes, obviously happy he was okay. He wasn't in the best state either after the battle. Clarke sits up. "I'm glad you're okay."

    "Yeah," Miller nods looking to Maya. "Only took what, three surgeries? I hear you're fitting right in," He adds, and I splutter an awkward noise at the mention. Maya hadn't seemed to keen on Clarke when informing Miller, but I don't blame her.

    "Clarke wasn't the one admitted to psych," I laugh shakily, trying to make a joke. Jasper and Mays's eyes both grow enlarged, so I continue, regretting speaking up. "Don't worry I'm not- I won't- I'm not violent," I shake my head, putting my hands over my eyes sheepishly. I try to save Clarke from the awkwardness, and only make it worse.

There's a strange silence as Clarke glares daggers at Maya. She clears her throat before taking out Miller's pills.

    "Twice a day. Don't forget. He'll be okay in a few days," Maya explains, smiling through the interrogation. My lips form a thin line, feeling pity for the girl.

    "Thank you," I add, leaning towards her thankfully. She flinches away from me, and I grimace. Not everyone believes my episode was a one time thing, apparently. "Sorry," I mumble, turning towards Clarke, my cheeks burning with heat.

I place my chin on the top of the bunk bed Clarke was sitting on, punching my eyes shut as Jasper walks away with Maya and Miller goes to talk to Harper.

Something gnaws at me, the guilt. It was worse today. It feels like a rabid dog, yipping and biting at my feet until I admit it.

How can I claim to love someone, when I left them for dead?

    "Clarke?" I mumble, my eyes opening to meet her stare. "Can I ask you a question?" My eyes only convey curiosity, wondering if anyone was feeling as lonely as I was here. If they hurt as much as I did, feeling as if they were nothing but a hollow shell.

Clarke flips the notebook shut, knowing I don't talk about them often, but when I do, it's important. "You'll ask me anyways, A," She smiles lightly, and I trail my hand back and fourth across the cool metal.