[ 46 ] hey

| CHAPTER FORTY-SIX |

" Things would never be as important to her as he was. He always is first. "

「✱ ➶ ♕ ♡ 」

"I'm sorry about Lexa," I say quietly, Clarke and I walking through the mines, my whole body practically shaking with the memory of the dead bodies and reapers chasing Lincoln and I, myself murdering them all and getting locked in a cage. I thought it would be better because of the reason, but it's not. I feel terrified.

Clarke glances at me, no one in sight. They wouldn't expect anyone to try and come back into the Mountain after the betrayal. "I thought we were her people too," She says as if we had died, and maybe we will but at least it will be honorably.

"You know what I mean," I say lightly, regarding her and Lexa's complicated sort-of-relationship. "It's okay if it felt personal." Lexa wouldn't just abandon us. I have a hard time feeling as if she wouldn't feel anything. We had somewhat grown closer, and leaving Clarke couldn't have been easy for her. She's human, even if it didn't seem like it. In the end, we all are. Some just choose logic over heart, and when your heart is a person that person gets hurt.

  "Let's just focus on saving our friends," She mutters, hardly glancing at me. Somehow, with my friends it's easier to see. That the things we push away end up destroying us. In myself I didn't see that everything from mount weather that I ignored almost killed me. I almost killed myself because of it. Now I can finally admit that. And I don't think it'll ever leave me, especially considering my clammy palms, shaking body and tightening chest. I'm terrified of this place, and that it might take more from me than it already has.

  "Clarke don't. We've got miles of tunnels. Lexa leaving us felt like she was leaving you. It's okay that it felt personal," The corner of my mouth twitches upwards. "I don't think it was. She talks about you. She was just doing what's best for her people. What sucks is that we thought our friends were her people too," I shrug, fumbling with my hands that were now red with Emerson's blood. I don't think I've ever been happier to see red. It meant that Cage isn't giving out my marrow like candy.

Clarke turns to look at me finally, eyebrows arched. "It doesn't excuse it. We had an alliance! We could've gotten everyone!" She says angrily, jaw clenched in frustration. "It was supposed to be better."

  "After seeing those cages, I don't think either of us could've left anyone. With the plan, with warriors ready to fight and the door open. But I'm not sure. The guaranteed lives of our friends over possibly hundreds of others to fight and maybe loose. I just want revenge for all of us," I mutter, exhausted and worn. We spent weeks planning only to have to try and pull this off on the spot. And that's only if someone, who I might be hoping is Bellamy, opens the door. Even when we get inside, they're not going down easy. And I can't let my friends go through any more of that. The people inside mount weather are only alive because they feed off of other people.