[ 36 ] eyes open

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

" corruption was worse than anything else. it endangers the morals of the entire community, and that was something she did not stand for. "

Clarke finishes re-dressing the wound again, setting my crutches down beside the fire

Clarke finishes re-dressing the wound again, setting my crutches down beside the fire. After lots of painful Blake and Griffin talking to, I had accepted the crutches. The grounders would see me as weak, but I had to get better to get stronger. This time, I want to be better for good.

      "Clarke," I mutter, the fire on the grounder's side dancing in her eyes. "You made the right call. It was his best option, and you gave him that," I say sternly, squeezing her hand. She looks up unconvinced, but reassured. That kind of guilt will never go away, and the least I could do was ease it.

She nods, rubbing my arm. "I don't know if I can ever accept that. I murdered him, Avalon," Clarke looks down, wringing her hands nervously. There was no doubt she felt it, the guilt, and it would eat her away like it did me.

I put up a wall. I'm done being weak, I'm done saving people who don't deserve to be saved. No matter what, this alliance would be strong, and I will do anything to keep it that way. Turning it off,-- the guilt, the sadness--- is the best way to do it. The way I see it, Finn died because the Mountain Men made him desperate. And they deserve to pay.

    "Yes, you did. But he would've been tortured. You saved him the pain. It's morbid, but I'm glad you did it. I think a part of me knew we couldn't save him, not after he turned himself in," I turn my gaze to the fire, still entranced by it's glow, the way it fed off the wood to keep going.  "Just try to get some rest."

I squeeze her hand one last time before she lies down, not too far away, knowing Bellamy would show up sooner or later.

And that he did.

     "It's safer on the other side," He says, setting down his pack beside me. I try to sit up, rolling my eyes, but Bellamy pushes me down with a gentle hand.

     "There are no sides," I mutter, pouting at him. I feel stiff after only switching between two positions.

     "Straight up, or straight down Princess. Don't want it to heal wrong," He shakes his head, laying beside me. I scoff unamused, not wanting to admit that he was right. Now I'm just glad I know how to help myself.

Silently, he plops the familiar pencil back into my hand, but now there was a string attached to it. I hold it tightly, knowing that Finn held it once, gave it to me with a newfound feeling of hope.

    "Thank you," I say, barely able to get it out as I put it around my neck, immediately toying with the small object. Bellamy found it in my pocket, after my breakdown. I almost lost it, and of course he found it. I would quite literally be dead without him.