[ 26 ] enough

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

" maybe going through all of this is what keeps us moving forward. maybe we have to get a little messed up before we step up.  "

I make my way through the crowd carefully, making sure to keep my head low, not wanting to scare anyone with all the blood

"The grounders are coming."

At that, my head snaps up, only to find dozens of eyes on me. Shaking the slight nervousness away, I grit my teeth as I push past the last few people.

"Kane couldn't do it, what a surprise," I hiss, standing behind Clarke's other shoulder. Her eyes widen in surprise, before relief flashes across her face, a visible sigh. Finn smiles at me from the other side, and I nod.

"Where have you guys been? Are you oka—" Clarke begins to question, but my attention is on the speech at hand.

I roll my eyes. "I'll tell you on the way. But first, let's listen," I mutter, turning my gaze back to Abby, and Jaha. My stomach churns at the sight of him, the man who left me on my own when I was seven. Seven years old.

Guess I'd need the practice.

"We have a difficult decision to make. Thankfully, Chancellor Jaha has made his way back to us, and we're discussing all options." Abby informs us, scanning the crowd, dark eyes landing on her daughter.

My eyes widen, avoiding the cold stares of the people surrounding us, the angry people closing in around me. "The grounders want us to leave, don't they?" I ask, spinning towards Clarke. Solemnly, she nods. "There's no way in hell. If we leave, we're abandoning them," I hiss, my fists clenching to help contain my anger.

"But to be safe, you need to pack," Jaha paces, my jaw setting in a frown. "Now."

I sheathe the sword dangling by my side, pushing my way to the front of the crowd. "Chancellor Griffin?" Speaking up, I avoid Jaha, who was already made up about leaving. "If we leave, the 46 others in mount weather will be abandoned. And you saw what they did to me. They're your kids." Now looking around, it felt like I was back around the campfire, Clarke and Bellamy by my side.

"She's right. What about them? Let us— Let Avalon and I— talk to them. This is our home now, and we're not leaving," Clarke stands beside me, reassurance. A small sigh makes its way past my lips, knowing that if Clarke was on your side, it was the right side.

Abby opens her mouth to respond, and I keep my eyes straight ahead, not wanting to make eye contact with the angry and confused people around me.

"Like your mother said. This is a difficult decision to make. But the time has come, for each and every one of us to ask— is this how the story of our people ends? Did we come all this way, just to die tomorrow? Because if we're not gone by the time the sun rises, that's exactly what will happen!" Jaha encourages, but I laugh. The type of laugh that gains people's attention. The manic kind.